65.

June 5

The days turned into weeks, and Meredith was content resting in the hospital. She had nurses and doctors at her beckon and call, and Derek would always stop in whenever he had a break or lunch, and would curl up with her on the bed when he needed a nap, or rest. Mark would come in and play card games with her to keep her amused, and Cristina would make sure to stop in when she was around to make fat jokes or give her the latest gossip. She was lying comfortably in her bed, staring blankly at the television, when she heard the door open. She knew that it was around lunch time, and she looked up to see a familiar face pop its way around the corner.

"Kathleen?" She said, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Derek's sister smiling in at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Are you up for some visitors?" She asked with a smile, her head still the only think that Meredith could see.

"Sure..." She said with a tilt of her head as she sat up a little and switched the television off. "Come on in..." The door opened wider, and Kathleen walked in, carrying two large bags full of packages. "What is...?" Meredith's eyes widened as Joann walked in next, carrying a couple of large packages, followed by Bethany and Nancy, each holding their own bags and boxes of gifts. The door opened again and Mrs. Shepherd came walking in, carrying another large bag of gifts. "What are you guys doing?" Meredith giggled as she looked at all of the gifts that the room was filled with, and the grins on all of the women's faces.

"Surprise!" Nancy said with a laugh. "Baby shower!"

"Baby shower?" Meredith laughed.

"Of course!" Mrs. Shepherd said as she pulled chairs in the room to accommodate all of them. "We figured that you and Derek haven't had a chance to get some things for the baby... and you're probably bored to tears in this hospital room..."

"... So... we... thought that you could use a little bit of fun..." Kathleen smiled.

"And some gifts to go along with it..." Bethany chimed in, watching Meredith grin brightly. "How have you been feeling? She asked as she slid onto the bed next to her. "How is our newest little Shepherd?" She asked as she smiled.

"He's doing well..." Meredith replied. "He really likes to move around... and he always kicks when Derek's around." She giggled.

"I'm sure you're trying to keep him away..." Joann teased.

"How has he been? Working too hard, I'm assuming..." Kathleen rolled her eyes.

"He is working hard... but he visits a lot... and if he's not visiting, there's usually someone else in here." She said softly.

"Did you get a bigger place yet?" Bethany asked.

"No..." Meredith whispered. "Derek's been looking at apartments, but he said he hasn't found anything that he's liked... he wants to get a house."

"I'm sure he'll find something, sweetheart..." Mrs. Shepherd whispered as she smiled, watching Meredith's eyes move across the room at the bags and boxes that they had brought in. "What do you say... we start opening some presents?" She asked with a smile.

"I would love that." Meredith laughed as she grinned.

"And when they're all opened, we can make Derek bring them home for you... and get everything put together and put away." Bethany confirmed as all of the girls giggled.

🎄🎄🎄

The girls laughed and giggled as they opened the gifts and Meredith enjoyed herself so much as each gift was opened. There were outfits upon outfits, bottles, diapers, onesies, washcloths, blankets, a car seat, bassinet, stroller, sheets, socks and shoes, everything that they could ever possibly need for the baby, it was there for Meredith to open and exclaim her happiness at receiving. They were surrounded by all of the gifts as they visited and laughed, talking happily as they noticed the door open.

"Holy crap..." Derek said as he stepped into the room. "What did you..."

"It's my baby shower!" Meredith exclaimed with a laugh, watching Derek look around in surprise. His eyes moved over all of the gifts and a smile crept over his face as he watched his sisters laugh.

"You guys did this for her?" Derek whispered, his eyes falling onto his mother's smiling face.

"Of course we did, you silly boy..." Mrs. Shepherd laughed. "These are all things that she needs... you can't have a baby without the proper equipment." She laughed as she winked at Meredith.

"This is a lot of stuff..." he said as he looked around, lifting up a stuffed elephant that was sitting on the bed beside Meredith. He leaned down and kissed Meredith softly as he continued to look around in surprise. "I just can't believe that you guys did all of this... this is a lot... a real lot... you didn't have to do this..." he shook his head.

"Yes we did." Kathleen replied. "She's our sister... she needs our support."

"You guys are the best." Derek said with a smile, looking at Meredith's grin as he gave each of his sisters a kiss on the cheek while he checked out the items filling the room. "Wow..." he said as he shook his head. His mother stood as he approached her, and reached her arms out to encircle him in a hug. "Thank you so much... thank you for doing this for her..." He whispered as he hugged her tightly.

"She's my daughter, Derek... I need to take care of all of my children. I need to make sure each and every one of them are happy." She smiled.

"Your mother offered to stay at our place for a few days after the baby is born... if we need her... and... and when I start my internship in September... since we'll both be working, she offered to watch him for a few weeks until we feel safe with leaving him in daycare..." Meredith said, glancing at Mrs. Shepherd.

"You offered your grandmotherly services already..." Derek chuckled.

"Oh hush... you know that she's been waiting forever for you to settle down and give her another Shepherd." Nancy laughed.

"Well..." Derek said as he sat on the bed beside Meredith, leaning down to kiss her again. "Would you like to know his name?" Derek asked as he reached his hand down, touching Meredith's belly softly. Meredith glanced to him and he grinned when he felt the baby kick beneath his hand.

The girls all brightened up at the thought of finding out the baby's name and they all watched Derek proudly hold his hand over Meredith's belly. "Richard." Derek whispered, glancing to his mother. "Richard... Michael Shepherd." He said as he watched his mother's eyes fill with tears.

"Derek..." Mrs. Shepherd whispered, her head shaking as she watched the sincerity in her son's eyes, the pure and unspoken love that he was sending her as he slowly ran his hand over his fiancé's belly. The way that he tilted his head, she could see her husband in his face, in his smile, in his eyes. "Derek you..."

"After Dad..." Derek whispered the unsaid words as his sisters watched on in a captured moment of surprise. "And... Michael... after the person who brought us together." Derek said with a smile as he watched Joann cover her open mouth in surprise, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I can't believe that you..."

"It's alright... right?" Meredith whispered. "You don't... mind, do you?" She asked, glancing between Mrs. Shepherd and Joann, watching the surprise in all of their faces.

"No! No! I love it! I love it..." Mrs. Shepherd exclaimed as she leapt from her chair and swung her arms around her son as she began to cry, her happiness and pride just filling the room with such love and an electricity that just couldn't be explained. "I love it..." She whispered as Derek held his mother in his arms tightly, a soft smile on his lips as he reached one hand down and squeezed Meredith's, giving her a smile of happiness as he comforted his mother.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
Here's 5 more chapters!
Enjoy!
🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄