55.

March 23rd

"Can you drive any faster?" Derek mumbled, shaking nervously in his seat as he glanced to Mark as Mark shook his head.

"Man... you are a mess!" Mark exclaimed.

"The appointment is at one... it's past twelve thirty... Go faster..."

"If you're thinking that maybe I'll crash, and you can get to the hospital faster that way... I'm not sure that Meredith would be very happy with that."

"If it gets me to the hospital faster!" He exclaimed as he leaned his head back. "Just go faster!" Derek exclaimed. "Do you want me to drive? I can drive if you want me to drive...I mean, I wouldn't mind driving..."

"Derek... seriously... I'm going to give you a sedative if you don't relax."

Derek's cell phone rang, and he lifted it quickly. "Meri?" He said into the phone, his voice suddenly calmer, his fingers trembling less.

"Hey sweetheart..." She said softly into the phone, hearing his voice made her calmer too as she glanced to Cristina who was flipping through a magazine beside her. "Where are you guys?" She asked.

"We're in the freaking middle of nowhere! Mark won't drive faster!" Derek exclaimed.

"We're almost there..." Mark said with an irritated growl.

"Don't rush, sweetheart... get here in one piece..." Meredith said softly, feeling the anxiousness in her belly as she put her hand on it.

"I don't want to miss it..." He said softly as he sighed.

"You're not going to miss it... don't worry... I won't go into the appointment if you're not here..." Meredith said softly. "I promise I'll wait for you..."

"We're pulling into the parking lot." Mark muttered as they turned into the hospital parking lot.

"We're pulling into the parking lot!" Derek exclaimed as he grinned so brightly, that Mark thought for a moment that he may need sunglasses to block his eye from the glare. He shook his head as Derek jumped from the car before it was in park, the phone was in his ear as he jogged towards the front doors. Mark parked the car and climbed out, jogging towards the front door after Derek.

They entered the doors and Derek asked Meredith directions through the phone. He moved quickly towards the elevator, talking excitedly in the phone as he entered it, nearly forgetting to keep the door open for Mark, who gave him a raised arm as if he was going to smack him. "I'm almost there, sweetheart..." Derek said as he noticed the weird looks from other people in the elevator.

"New father..." Mark whispered, nodding towards Derek and he chuckled as they smiled and nodded.

The doors opened and Derek grinned as he told Meredith he would be right there, walking quickly down the hallway, his eyes widened when she walked around the corner. "Meri!" He said happily as he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close as she squeezed him. "Look at you..." He whispered as she showed off her bump proudly, grinning as Derek looked at in amazement. "It's the big day..." He whispered as he embraced her again.

"It is... I'm so glad you guys were able to get here..." Meredith said as she turned and hugged Mark, who lifted her off the ground a little in a hug.

"I was about ready to kill him." Mark said, pointing towards Derek who was standing with his arm around Meredith, grinning.

"I could tell..." Meredith giggled as she looked up at Derek as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind, just needing to touch her. "He acts like he didn't see me a couple of weeks ago..." Meredith shook her head.