45.

The morning light was beginning to peek through the windows a little brighter, and Derek listened softly as he thought he heard the sound of someone on the stairs. The feet were quiet and light, not an adult's feet. "Meri." He whispered softly into her ear. "Meri..."

He felt her turn in his arms slightly, his eyes were on hers as she opened them slowly. "What?" She groaned slightly as she watched him put his finger to his lips.

"Do you want to see something magical?" He whispered.

"Magical?" She whispered.

"Come with me." He said softly, carefully climbing from behind her. He helped her carefully climb from the couch and took her hand, leading her to the kitchen slowly. She followed behind, closing the door, but for a crack, while they turned around beside the door. "Here... stand here..." Derek said softly, placing her in front of him as he positioned the open door so that they could see the doorway to the hallway.

He wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her cheek as she yawned, her eyes droopy and tired, but he could feel the energy in her body as they listened to the very slow footsteps of the person on the stairs. Then they heard her voice.

"Santa?" The little girl whispered, having heard the sound of someone downstairs, she could only assume that it was who she was expecting. They then realized that there were two little ones on the stairs, tiptoeing quietly behind one another. "Santa, are you down there?" Her voice echoed through the quiet hallway as she reached the bottom stair.

"I don't think he's down there, Zoey..." Another little girl whispered.

"Do you think he came?" The little girl asked.

Meredith watched in anticipation as the two little girls stood just around the corner of the family room, talking nervously and discussing whether or not they should see if Santa did pay them a visit. Meredith held her breath, slowly waking up as Derek held her securely in his arms, his nose resting on the top of her head as he breathed deeply, warming her completely with his embrace. She glanced up at him, watching the sparkle in his eyes as he smiled down at her, watching her face brighten like one of those little girls that were trying to work up the courage to walk around the corner. She turned her attention back to the living room.

From around the corner, popped the head of a dark haired girl, her eyes were wide blue orbs of surprise and wonder as she grabbed her cousin's arm, pulling her into the room behind her. "Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed, her mouth wide with wonder and excitement as she looked at all of the gifts.

"SANTA CAME!" The smaller girl exclaimed, her arm tugged by the older girl as she hushed her.

"He did come! Wow! Look at all of these presents!"

"Let's go tell Granny!" The little one exclaimed as both girls laughed and giggled as the ran as quickly as they could up the stairs together.

Meredith sighed happily as the little girls disappeared up the stairs and she could feel a lump in her throat as her eyes began to water.

"That's all you've wanted... isn't it?" Derek whispered in her ear as she shivered in his arms. His breath was warm and his voice was filled with love.

"That's what I want with you." She whispered, turning in his arms, she looked into his eyes, noticing that his eyes were watering as well. "You're crying..." She whispered, reaching up to touch the tear on his cheek.

"No... no, I'm not crying... my... my face is... leaking..." He sniffled as he rubbed his eye, listening to her soft giggle. "How are you feeling?" He whispered.

"I'm... a little sore still..." She whispered. "I missed the present thingy..."

"Don't worry..." He smiled as he touched her cheek. "I got to be the proxy Meredith." He said with a smile.