30.

For the moment of their kiss, it was almost if there was complete silence in the room, at least for Meredith and Derek. The sounds of Christmas morning were dulled in comparison to the sound of the heartbeats that they could hear in their ears as their lips slowly separated. The kiss was short and soft, delicate and perfect in every way, and not overly displayed in the least. After several moments, reality set in, and the sound of everyone getting back to the job at hand, opening gifts, was heard. Meredith rested her head on Derek's shoulder as they watched the festivities unfold.

The sounds of the little ones giggling as they played rang out through the room as the piles of wrapping paper became higher and higher, children climbing through it and making funny hats as they laughed and rolled around teasing one another. They sat there for a long time watching the family together, curled around one another happily in their chair.

Derek looked down at the small gift in Meredith's hands, her fingers carefully running over the wrapping as her eyes were on the rest of the family. "Aren't you going to open yours?" He whispered.

"Hm?" She whispered, lifting her head, she looked into her eyes.

"Your gift... aren't you going to open it?" He asked.

"Oh..." She smiled, kind of surprised, having obviously forgotten that was even in her hands. She sat up a little and glanced to him. "Ready?" She smiled, the excitement in her eyes was intoxicating. He could feel his heart fluttering as he nodded his head. Her fingers slipped below the gentle folds of the wrapping, bending her finger, the tape gave way from the paper it was grasping to, releasing so that she could gently unfold it.

"You're a neat unwrapper... for someone who is so excited about Christmas, I thought you'd be one of those people that rips it apart with your teeth." Derek chuckled in her ear as she laughed out loud, sending his heart into another wave of flutters.

She watched him slyly as she slipped her finger under the last piece of tape. "You have to savor it, Derek." She whispered, her eyes twinkling as she smiled, carefully pulling the wrapping from the small red box. She looked up at him as she touched the top, preparing them both for the contents. She pulled her legs up, and folded them underneath herself as she turned slightly, settling against the arm of the chair, her body still resting on his lap as she held her breath for a moment and glanced into his eyes.

"Still savoring?" He teased.

"Yes... anticipation, Derek." She smiled.

"Open it, already!" He exclaimed as he laughed, watching as she carefully opened the box. The two of them looked inside and they both smiled brightly, their eyes moving up to meet one another's. Nestled deep in the small box was a handmade ornament, shaped like a heart, decorated with glitter. Around the frame of the heart were the words. 'Our first Christmas together', and in the center was a small picture of the two of them ice skating from the year before. Their hands were clasped and their eyes were directed completely on the other. Their smiles were bright and happy.

Meredith giggled a little as she carefully held the ornament in her hand, looking up at Derek she sighed. "It should say... 'Our first Christmas together, alone'..." She giggled.

Derek laughed and nodded, glancing to his mother he smiled. "Thank you, Mom." He said with a laugh.

"You two deserve all of the happiness in the world..." Mrs. Shepherd replied as she started to stand up. She looked around at the whirlwind of gifts and wrappings. "It looks like it is just about time to start on dinner." She said as she watched the children finally begin to calm down.

"Oh..." Meredith said with a wiggle as she put the cover on the box with the ornament and placed it in Derek's lap. "I know a cue when I hear one." She said with a giggle as she kissed his cheek and slid from his lap, following Mrs. Shepherd and all of the other girls into the kitchen.