89.

Bethany pulled Meredith into the building as all of the other Shepherd girls followed after, giggling and laughing as Meredith was suddenly overwhelmed by the attention. Everyone was talking at once as they excitedly prepared her for what Derek had been undoubtedly been planning for months. They whisked her into the bathroom where Nancy and Joann helped with her makeup, but not before Mrs. Shepherd whisked Richie away to get him ready with Ellis.

Kathleen was taking pictures of everything while Bethany helped her put on the new coat that Derek had purchased for her on. It was a warm white parka with a hood adorned with faux fur. She handed her the earrings that Derek had purchased for her as well, and held the mirror so that Meredith could see as she put them on. "This is way too much." Meredith whispered as they finished her hair and make up, and stood by to admire their handiwork.

A knock came from the door and Joann turned to peek out. "What do you want?" She asked as she tried to block the view into the room.

"I need to see her." Derek replied as he held a large box in his hands.

"You can't see her yet, it's bad luck..."

"Is it bad luck for me to pop you one in the nose?" He asked with his eyebrows raised.

"Yes." She glared at her younger brother. "What do you want?"

"I need to help her with these." He said, holding the box.

"We can do that." She said as she reached for the box.

"No." he shook his head. "No, I need to do it." He said as he tilted his head.

"Derek..."

Meredith's voice could be heard from within, laughing with his sisters as he sighed heavily. "Joann... I'm serious... I need to do this myself... please... I.... won't look her in the eyes... is that alright?"

Joann gave her brother a long, hard look as she tried to figure out if it would be the best decision. She glanced back at Meredith, who shrugged as she nodded. She then looked back at Derek. "Fine." She said as she sighed loudly. "You can come in... but don't... look at her..." She shrugged.

"Thank you." He said as she opened the door, allowing Derek to walk into the room. Derek stepped in with his head down, his eyes staring at the floor as he walked across the floor silently. "Meri." He whispered as he held the box before her. He spotted her socked feet as she sit on the chair and he smiled as he knelt before her, setting the box beside him.

"What is this?" She asked with a shy smile as Derek smirked at her feet, his happiness just overwhelming as his body language just oozed with the love that he was feeling for her.

"Your brand new ice skates." He said with a soft smile as he opened the box, revealing two brand new white skates. "Your wedding gift..." He said with a smile as he glanced up, catching her eyes with his while his sisters weren't looking. His eyes moved quickly down again to her foot.

"Derek..." She whispered as she looked down at the perfectly white skates in the box as he lifted one of them out of the box, gently taking her foot in his hand. He let his hand run down her toes, across her sole to her heel as he smiled at her delicate, tiny foot.

"You're perfect." He whispered as he carefully slipped the boot onto her foot, gently lacing it and tying it tightly. "No one is allowed to ever place ice skates on these feet..." He said with a smile. "Only me... forever..." He said as he lifted the other boot from the box. He lifted her other foot and very carefully lifted her toes to his lips, where he left a gentle kiss at the tip of her big toe. "No one is allowed to ever... touch these feet... ever... only me... forever." He said as he slipped the other boot onto her foot, lacing it, he tied it tightly. "I love you, Meredith." He said with a happy sigh as he stood up. He closed his eyes as he leaned down, dropping a tender kiss on her lips, he smiled against her mouth. "There will be more of those when you get your beautiful self out there and marry me..." He said as he kept his eyes closed as he squeezed her hand, kissing her lips softly again.