13.

Derek lay still on the ice, his eyes closed as everyone crowded around him calling out his name. Meredith slid off him and called to him, tears starting to form in her eyes as she watched him lie there motionless.

"Derek! Open your eyes now!" She exclaimed, feeling the sob building up in her body as she watched him lie there. His mother calling to him as she climbed out onto the ice.

"I have never seen him fall like that before..." Bethany said as she too joined the crowd.

"Derek..." His mother said sternly, hoping that her voice would knock him back into consciousness.

"Derek... please..." Meredith said, her voice was filled with worry as they checked his head, noting that other than a big bump, he'd be fine.

"I'm not even sure that bump wasn't there before..." Nancy said, glancing around at the grim crowd.

"That wasn't funny..." Derek groaned as everyone now felt comfortable enough to laugh at Nancy's joke.

"I thought it was funny..." Nancy laughed as Derek opened his eyes slowly. His eyes were instantly met by the fear filled gaze of Meredith looking down on him with such worry that he could see the tears setting in.

"Oh..." He groaned, trying to lift his head as he reached up to touch the bump. "Oh... please don't cry..." he whispered, shaking his head slightly as he felt the dizziness setting in.

"Are you alright?" Meredith whispered.

"I'll... I'll be alright..." He mumbled as he tried to sit up.

"Alright everyone... let's help Derek get off the ice..." Mrs. Shepherd instructed the men as the children skated by to check to make sure that Derek was moving and alright.

Meredith helped lift him up as well, followed them all to the steps out of the rink, and held his arm as they led him to the table that was beside the rink. He sat down on the bench and Meredith moved in front of him to stare into his eyes. "Are you sure you're alright? You're not seeing double... or anything like that are you?"

"Oh... what a sight that'd be... two of you... who are you again?" He smirked.

"Cut that out!" She exclaimed, smacking his arm.

"Hey... no hitting the injured guy..." Derek mumbled, grabbing her arm in full swing. She stopped for a moment and stared him in the eyes. "I'm alright..." He whispered. "I'm alright... Meredith... Grey..." He cringed.

"You have met my mother." Meredith said, her eyes widened in shock.

"She's my slave driving boss, Meredith." Derek said, rubbing the back of his head.

"You're kidding!"

"Nope."

"You're kidding!" She exclaimed again.

"Do I look like I'm kidding? Would I have fell on my head if I were kidding?" He replied.

"Maybe... I don't know you that well..." Meredith shrugged.

"Oh, you're hilarious..." Derek chuckled as he groaned a little.

"Are you going to be alright?" She asked, kneeling in front of him.

"I'll be alright..." He whispered. "Maybe..."

"What would make it better?" She whispered, glancing into his eyes, as she watched them wander to his sisters and mother as they watched them from a nearby table and then back to Meredith.

"If you kiss it..." He whispered, his grin becoming wicked as he watched her shake her head at him with an amused expression.

"You want me to kiss the bump on your head?"