1 - Chris

When the world was dark around him and the water surrounded his body, everything was normal. He almost laughed. He must have been hallucinating. There were no purple lakes, especially not in America.

Fucking ridiculous.

But, when he surfaced, that protective thought shattered. He waved his hands through the top of the surface of the lake, keeping himself afloat. The water was completely, undeniably purple. A deep violet, but a purple nonetheless.

He spun around, splashing. His heart pounded in his chest. Where was everybody? Where was Adam and Nick and his dad? Where was he? There were no boats in the lake. It was much smaller than the one he had dropped into. And was the sun a little bit bigger, a little bit hotter?

Adam splashed to the surface a short distance away, gasping and coughing.

"Oh, fuck," Chris said, swimming to him. "Thank god." He patted Adam on the shoulder. "Are you ok, man?"

Adam slicked his hair back from his face and rubbed his hands. "Yeah." Then he looked down into the water and seemed to come to the same realization that Chris had had a few moments before. "What the fuck?"

Two more splashes behind them, a few grunts. Chris waved himself around. His dad and Nick had surfaced, coughing and spluttering like Adam.

It had only been a few seconds, but it was good to see them. No matter how old Chris got, his dad was still a source of protection. His presence made everything alright. He splash-swam his way over to them, just as they got their own bearings, looking around.

"What..." Nick shaded his eyes against the sun as he looked out into the forest that surrounded the lake. "What happened? Where are we?"

His dad chuckled. "I think I hit my head. The water is looking purple to me."

"Same, dad," Chris said, pooling a little bit of it into his hands, confirming its color, and then letting it drip back into the lake.

"Purple water," Nick said, turning his gaze down. He shook his head, little droplets flying around. "Purple... what's going on?" There was hint of panic in his voice then. A little surge of uneasiness.

"Did we... did we somehow move from Alton Beach?" Adam said.

"To a purple lake?" Nick said.

There were a few moments of silence after that. The four of them floated in the middle of the water, looking around. Something about their surroundings was off, and it wasn't just the purple water. The trees were a sharper shade of green, they glinted off of the extremely bright sun a little more harshly. The grass was longer, wasn't it?

And there were no people. Chris did a 360 in the water. No people, no campsites, no nothing.

Wait. There was somebody. A man on the shore, looking at them.

"Guys, there's someone there," Chris said, pointing. The other three turned around, leaning in to get a better view. The glare made it hard to see him, but he was definitely there.

"Yes." Adam said. "Thank god."

"What the fuck is going on?" Nick said, looking at his hands, pinching the back of them. "Are we hallucinating?"

Chris's dad didn't say anything, he just started swimming towards the man. Chris looked at Adam, who shrugged back at him.

"C'mon, dad," Adam said.

Nick looked at him. "Where are we?"

Adam gestured to the man. "If anyone has some answers, it's him." Nick turned and seemed to consider that, then he breathed out, long and lingering, and started to swim after Mark, Chris and Adam following closely behind.