89 - Breck

Red Riders poured into Jkaal. They swarmed through the winding, twisting, rocky streets, bloodying their swords with the insides of innocent people. They cut-down children and the elderly, as well as the men who tried to fight back against the incursion.

It was chaos, terrible and complete and all around them. The cries of the dying and the scared filled the air, an ever-present buzz. The thunk of hard, smelted, imperial metal hitting wood was a steady beat, as the Jkaal guards tried to fight back against the Red Riders.

They would be outmatched, Breck knew. One glance and he was certain that Jkaal stood no chance of surviving this onslaught. Qoal would successfully massacre his own people.

And the only thing that Breck could think about was keeping Nick safe, was getting him out of there.

If only Grei hadn't taken his fucking sword.

They stopped at the mouth of a street. A flurry of movement passed in front of them. Running, screaming people, quickly pursued by a lumbering, tentacled beast and the rider on top of it. Breck kept Nick behind him, and then peered out onto the street, making sure that everything was clear.

Seeing nothing, Breck pulled Nick out onto the main road and they sprinted towards the palace. They ran by people frozen in shock, some of them staring at the dead bodies that littered the ground. They ran by people nursing horrific wounds, some of them barely able to form a coherent sentence. Nick and Breck raced up the inclining street, getting closer and closer to the palace.

Breck would need to fight for his future now, he would need to fight for the family he had never had. Nick Fulton was his soulmate. How had he not seen that before? The signs had all been there, all along. He was the perfect man. He was one of Breck's best friends, a back-jewel, and had been brought to this planet to save The Goddess. They were meant to be together, Breck and Nick, they were meant to start a family together. And if Breck wanted that future, if he wanted Nick and his sons, he was going to have to make sure that Nick and himself came out of this alive.

The final stone houses disappeared behind them. They had arrived at the palace, or what was left of it. The grand, stone entranceway had been reduced to rubble. The entire rock, the large boulder that the palace had been carved into, had collapsed in on itself. The twin waterfalls of Jkaal now sprayed wildly over the top of the rock, disrupted from their regular currents by the collapse of the palace. And the bridge was gone, having been reduced to a big pile of rubble in the shallow pool beneath. Breck could barely process the sight. He shook his head.

"How... How could this have happened?" Nick said. "Those explosions. They sounded like bombs."

"The cult," Breck said. "It must be the cult."

Nick looked back, eyeing the chaotic city behind them. "But... I don't see any robed cultists. Only Red Riders."

Breck swallowed. "Do you think the rest of them were in there, Henrov, Geer... Mikh, Warlan...? Do you think they made it out?"

"I don't know," Nick said. "And, even if they did, I don't know how we would find them in this mess."

A flash of an idea, a spark of memory. Hadn't Henrov said something earlier, something about the market, the one right next to the palace?

Market is the muster point, ok?

"The market."

Nick turned to Breck. "What?"

"Market is the muster point." Breck nodded. "That's what Henrov said."

"Right!" Nick seemed to remember as well. He twisted back around. "It should be around here somewhere."