10 - Vinton

Headmaster Hiff had a very serious expression on his face as he stood at the front of the main hall, perched on a podium that overlooked the entire room. His spectacles hung off of his nose, his white robes draped over his pale, skinny body, and his face was devoid of any joy, any humor.

Adding to the gloom was the long line of masters behind him. The teachers of The Academy looked just as serious as Hiff. But Vinton still smiled. Seeing Tew, Lyle, Yelk, and the rest of his old Masters shot excitement into his heart.

He was back. He was happy to be back.

Hiff peered over the gathered crowd of students, who were grouped by year of study. There were the little kids, the twelve year olds and thirteen year olds, at the front of the room. It was their first year at The Academy. Not a great start. And the guys got older and older as they moved back in the room.

Vinton, Landel, Chris, and Adam were near the back.  Nearby, sitting across from them, was Napsit and Ferr. One more year and they would all be finished. Vinton couldn't help but feel emotional when he thought about it.

The main hall was large. Stained glass windows lined the top of the room, letting in brilliant hues of coloured light which shined down from above. The floor was covered in long, square tables, where the students sat in their white robes.

The minute they had reached the Academy, they had all been forced to change into them and told to come to the hall for a welcoming ceremony. Nobody felt like it, considering some of their classmates were being wheeled away to the medic, and others were being brought back to Sesstria. But Hiff had never cared about that before.

Vinton was still a little shaken up. Razors in the sun forest. What the fuck was the world coming to?

Hiff adjusted his necktie and pushed his glasses up his nose. "Dear students, it is a sad occasion that precedes your arrival to this institution of learning and safety. While I am very happy to see you safe, and very happy to report that there were no casualties in this attack, I am also disturbed to inform you that many students sustained serious injuries and will need to return to Sesstria for several weeks."

The hall was filled with hundreds of murmurs as students spoke to each other, exchanging worried grumbles. Behind Hiff, at the master's table, the teachers and staff of the Academy looked just as shocked.

"Did you see who got hurt?" Landel asked, nudging Vinton.

"No. You?"

Landel shook his head.

"I have insisted that this welcoming ceremony happen early because I wished to make a few things very clear." Hiff cleared his throat. "Even in the darkest hours, the Academy lives on. Sesstria has been notified of these events and I expect a lot of your parents will want to come personally and make sure you're alright." He held out a fist and shook it. "I encourage good communication with your fathers. Let them know you are alright. Let them know that classes will be starting tomorrow, as planned. And, of course, let them know that the Academy will not be intimidated by razors."

The room was silent when he stopped speaking. The old man had probably been expecting some applause, but what was there to clap about? He was basically shrugging off the attack and the injuries and making them go to classes tomorrow. It was absurd.

Hiff cleared his throat and fixed his glasses again. He turned back and stared at Master Lyle, who was sitting nearby. The young Master nodded at him and then Hiff continued. "Furthermore, the convoys to and from the Academy will now be escorted by the defenders. If you decide to travel through the sun forest alone, you do so at your own peril." He looked at the gathered students over his glasses, very seriously. "I believe Master Lyle wants to say a few words." He stepped to the side as Lyle stood up and approached the podium.