97 - Breck and Nick

When they turned the corner, the road curving slightly to the side, Sesstria came into view.

Sesstria.

The Goddess rose up in the distance, glorious and brilliant, the pink stone shining in the sunlight. Her people were in her shadow, under her protection.

His home.

His city.

His people.

The overwhelming urge to sprint towards Sesstria came upon Breck, and it took all the willpower he had to continue walking. The Palace towered above the smaller houses, a glowing beacon of civilization, a place where everything made sense.

Would Vinton be there? Sitting in the dining room with Chris, eating breakfast? What about Kullver and Timot? Everyone he loved was within those walls, and Breck had been gone for far too long.

He smiled. "Home, finally."

Nick nodded. "Home." He breathed out.

"What do we do now?"

"We go straight to the King," Nick said.

"You think?"

Nick turned to him, a worried crease to his brow. "The Golden Spire is marching North. If they're planning on invading Sesstria, King Esteck needs to know about it as soon as possible."

There was sense in that. Still, the idea of not stopping at the defender's base to debrief with Commander Unil was strange. But Nick was right, the King needed to know.

And..." Nick gulped. "I'm going to have to tell Adam about this, about us."

There was anxiety building behind Nick's brown eyes. There was genuine, palpable concern there. "We can wait." Breck held Nick's hand, squeezed it. "If you need some time, we don't have to tell them right away."

"Yes, we do." Nick shook his head. "There's no hiding this, there's no denying this, because this isn't going away." He looked up at Breck, the worry on his face slowly shifting to a stern resolve. "This is never going away."

The Southern Gate got closer and closer, and the road got busier as they approached their home. Mulkeyes brayed and lumbered down the packed path, bored eyes looking forwards. Some people had set up tents along the side of the road, makeshift communities. Breck had no doubt that they were refugees, fleeing from Boletara, fleeing from The Golden Spire.

If the cult managed to invade Sesstria and get this close to the city, what would these refugees do? Would they be let inside of the city? Would they be slaughtered? Breck's eyes drifted from broken family to broken family, young children huddled in rags as their parents tried to keep them comfortable. Endless scenes of desperation.

Would they all be slaughtered?

Eventually, it passed. The stink of the camps disappeared behind them as  they got closer to the city. The pink stone above the Gate was magnificent, it shone in the brilliant sun as it welcomed them home, and they followed the crowd as they were funneled underneath the South gate, passing below the sturdy, iron bars.

Then, for the first time in days, Breck stepped onto the cobbled streets of Sesstria.

It was just as he remembered it.

For some reason, on their journey back, he had been terrified that the place was going to be different, that something essential was going to be missing. But no. The people were going about their business as if danger and death wasn't looming above them. The streets were full of life and activity, colors and energy. Breck breathed it in as he walked, savoring Sesstria, savoring home.