67 - Chris

Chris hadn't spent much time in the palace throne room. Mostly because nothing ever happened in the throne room. King Esteck rarely used it, he made it clear that he preferred his office.

But today, he was using the throne room. And he wasn't just using it, he was milking it for its full effect.

Esteck was seated on the large, golden, ornate throne. He was wearing a long, white robe that had fur lining around the neck and arms. His polished crown was glinting in the sunlight, which was drifting in from the windows that ran along the sides of the room. He was the picture of royalty.

Prince Landel was wrapped up in a military uniform, a tight, blue suit that was full of dangling pins and tassels. He was standing beside his father, just to the side of the throne. His head was held high, his back was straight.

Prince Kullver was on the other side, in an identical outfit. Though, obviously, a much bigger size. The man towered over the throne, and the room in general. His soulmate, Timot, was standing beside him.

The royal family was on a raised dias at the front of the room. The windows seemed to be installed to direct as much light as possible onto the throne and the front of the room.

But they weren't the only ones in the throne room. The palace was packed to the brim with the citizens of Sesstria. Men of every shape and size, dressed in every manner of clothing, filled the throne room, bumping and jostling against each other.

Somehow, Chris, Adam, and their dads had managed to find a spot near the front. But they had arrived early, and had been territorial about their standing room.

The new head steward, Maxil's replacement, a small man named Turin, was standing at the base of the dias. He was holding a long, golden staff. After everyone had been ushered into the throne room, he looked back at Esteck, got a slight nod from the King, and then he pounded the staff onto the ground.

The room went silent.

"My fellow Sesstrians," Esteck said, his voice booming over the crowd. It was the sort of deep reverberation that was expected from a King, it commanded authority. "I have gathered you here today to relay some news and to allay some fears."

He turned his head slowly, taking in the entire room. His face was steady and stoic as he continued. "A few days ago, Wirliton, the capital city of our neighbor nation of Boletara, was invaded." There wasn't much of a reaction because, by then, everyone had heard about the attack, about the occupation. "The people who invaded them are part of a insidious cult. Their goal is to drain the Goddess of her soul, and turn one of their members into a God."

Djaro shook his head and muttered, "ridiculous."

It was fucking ridiculous. But that didn't make the situation any less terrifying. They had barely escaped with their lives. They had rumbled their way, in that rickety carriage, to the nearest Sesstrian hamlet and had basically screamed at a messenger until he had agreed to ride forwards and take news to the King.

Chris hadn't felt normal for days after that. When they had finally returned, all he had been able to do was lay in his bed. He had felt so weak, so helpless. The only thing that had made those days tolerable was his soulmate's presence. Vinton hadn't left his side, not once.

So yeah, it was ridiculous. But still, Chris had been forced to fry an entire army of hralls.

You did not do that yourself!

Chris had to force himself not to smile. That familiar voice had been speaking to him more and more. He didn't know what it was, but he was starting to enjoy the presence.