57 - Vinton

The medics were struggling to get through the throngs of people. The stretcher they were holding between the two of them made their task difficult as they weaved around the large crowds of guys.

But Vinton barely noticed any of that. He stayed next to the medics, running alongside the white piece of fabric that his soulmate was laying on, completely unconscious.

"Is he going to be ok?" Vinton said, breathless. He couldn't bare to stare at Chris's motionless face for one more second, but he didn't want to look away in case anything happened. A part of him thought that if he did turn away, something awful would occur.

He looked so peaceful, almost as if he was sleeping. His short blonde hair fell away from his face, his breathing was gentle and slow, and his body was completely limp. He was still wearing their panae uniform, the black and red suit. Chris had been so excited to play the game, he had been so enthusiastic and confident.

Vinton swallowed the lump in his throat.

"I don't know," one of the medics said, a younger man. "We just need to hope that Medic Gigg knows how to deal with a realto."

They moved around groups of startled students and teachers, who watched them as they passed with wide eyes and open mouths.

He kept hearing that word whispered over and over again. Realto. A fucking realto.

When they finally pushed into the school and made their way down into the medic's office, Gigg seemed to be waiting for them, along with a team of medics, all dressed in white. The office was at the front of the school and was a complex of stone rooms and hallways, each one filled with small, single beds.

The group of medics swarmed towards Chris, lifted him into one of the beds, and began to do all sorts of tests on him. It was a flurry of motion. They felt all the parts of his body, noting the temperature. They drained some blood from his fingers. They opened his eyes to see how they reacted. It was one thing after another. There were lots of tests, but not a ton of solutions, it seemed.

At one point, they tried to get Vinton to leave.

"No."

"You'll be more comfortable in the waiting area," the medic said, an infuriating smile on his face. "Trust me, it will only upset you to be here."

Vinton shook his head. "I'm not leaving him." He stood next to Chris and grabbed his hand. It burned. It was unnaturally hot, but he didn't let go.

A realto. Chris was a realto.

Vinton hadn't noticed anything weird until Chris had begun to lift off of the ground. The man had started to seize and fly into the air, his head had tilted upwards and his hands had been held off to the side. The game had stopped then, as everyone had turned and watched him float.

Vinton hadn't known what to think, then. Panic had welled inside of him, swirling like a hurricane.

Then, without warning, Chris had... exploded. Well... obviously not, because the man was here, right in front of Vinton. But, on the court, Chris's body had turned into fire and a big blaze had expanded outwards from him, filling the court, singing the hedges.

When was the last time there had been a realto in Sesstria? He only knew about them because of the stories. They were the heroes of old, the ones who had been so talented with their soularts that they could transform into the essence of their element. Vinton had grown up with the story of Hullit, how that realto had turned into a lake.

"Give him this," Gigg said, handing a cup of blue liquid to one of the medics next to the bed. "Quickly. Quickly!"

The medic lifted Chris's head and poured the stuff down his throat, slowly.