90 - Breck and Nick

He was back at Hullit's Lake. The water was flowing underneath him, gently lapping over the sandy beach. He was back in Sesstria, back home. The Paxtan Estate was a quick walk from the beach, he would just have to get back the city.

Breck was safe.

Nick was there too, wasn't he? He was playing with their son on the beach, throwing a small, leather ball around. But Breck trusted his soulmate to look after their kid, and so he kept his eyes shut and just breathed in the day, breathed in the smells of the gentle woods around them.

Reality slammed back into him like a block of ice, crashing against his illusion with a powerful force. The memories raced back into his mind. Jkaal. The betrayal. The chase. Henrov and Geer holding off the Red Riders.

Nick.

Breck's eyes snapped open, and he forced himself to sit up, groaning as his back protested. He looked around. The roaring, foaming river was right in front of him, carving it's path through The Spread. Somehow, Breck had washed up on a rocky, slick outcropping that acted as a sort-of bank to the river. Carefully, he pulled himself up, and took another panicked look around.

Where was he? Where was he? He had to be here. He fucking had to be.

There.

A little ways down the river, on the far side of the same rocky bank, Nick's limp form was plastered against the shining rock. His hair was drenched, his eyes were closed, Breck couldn't see his chest rising.

Panic ripped through him like the piercing tail of a Razor. He raced over the spiky, jagged rock, and fell to the ground next to Nick. He put his hands on the other man's chest and leaned forwards. Breathing? C'mon! He needed to hear some breathing. He needed to.

A faint, shallow breath came and went, Nick's chest slightly rising with it. Breck's relief was so intense it made him want to cry. Nick was just unconscious. He just needed some time.

Breck lowered himself, and sat down on the rocky outcropping next to his soulmate. Part of him, the skeptical part, the cynical part, wondered if he was being too forward thinking of Nick as his soulmate. Did he really know for sure? Could there ever be real confirmation? But Breck knew, in his heart, that Nick Fulton was his soulmate. He sensed it. It was like an instinct, something long buried and rarely used that had come roaring to the forefront. It had told him that this was the person he was going to spending the rest of his life with. And that instinct was coming from The Goddess, there could be no doubt about that.

A few hours passed. The rushing river moved passed him, an ever-present force. The water churned and foamed and broke, spinning around in small whirlpools and racing over sharp, pointy rocks that broke out of the surface. But, other than that, the place was peaceful. There was no sign of Jkaal or The Red Riders. Breck tried to peer down the river, but he couldn't see the city, which meant that they had floated far.

It was a miracle that they had survived.

A slight cough, a gag, and then a groggy voice, "Breck?"

"Nick." He wiped the hair from the other man's face and leaned over him. "I'm here. I'm here."

Nick opened his eyes, blinked a few times in the sun. "God, my head hurts."

Breck chuckled. "If that's all that hurts, I think we can consider that a victory."

"No kidding." Nick sat up. "Jesus." He looked down the river, craning his neck to get a better view. "How far did we end up?"

"I don't know. I tried to see Jkaal, but I think it must be around a bend somewhere."