98 - Nick

The sun woke Nick up, a flash of orange against his closed eyelids. For a dreamy moment, he thought he was still in The Spread. It was like he could hear Mikh and Warlan getting ready to pack up camp, and Henrov and Geer chatting quietly by one of the giant trees.

His head was resting on a large, warm, firm pillow. It was something perfect, something he had wanted for a long time. He groaned softly and opened his eyes.

The Spread, Mikh and Warlan, Henrov and Geer, it all dissolved. He wasn't there anymore. Nick and Breck had made it home, they had made it back to Sesstria. More than that, he was in The Paxtan Estate and his head was resting on the muscular pec of his soulmate.

The stately, glass window at the side of their room let in the golden rays of morning sunlight. Dust particles danced in streams of brightness, floating silently as they traversed through the air. Nick watched it in sleepy satisfaction. He could've stayed like that forever.

"You're finally up?" Breck's deep voice reverberated through his chest.

Nick tilted his head upwards. Breck was smiling at him from his perch on a pillow, and he ran a hand over Nick's hair, pulling it back from his forehead.

"We have drills today, don't we?"

"We sure do."

Again, Nick groaned. He wrapped his hands around Breck's body, and tried to pull himself closer. The warmth of his soulmate was too comforting, too soft, he couldn't bear to leave it.

But eventually, he managed to. His eyes still drooping and sleepy, Nick pried himself off of Breck, and lifted his hands above his head in a stretch. He scratched the hair on his chest, fixed his underwear, and then stared out the window.

Hilltown greeted him from below. Usually, at this time in the morning, he would've seen several citizens going about their business, walking to work, chatting happily with someone else, strolling lazily down the street in the morning heat. But not anymore. The sun may have been shining brightly, but a dark cloud had descended over Sesstria.

"Do you think they know what's coming?" Nick asked.

He heard Breck sliding off the bed from behind him. Then, a hard warmth against his back. Two strong arms slid over the front of his chest, pulling Nick closer.

Breck kissed the side of Nick's head. "With the curfew and the noise order being in place... If they don't already, they will soon."

"How long do you think we have?"

"I don't know." Breck rubbed Nick's chest. "How long has it been since we got back? Two weeks?" He sighed. "I don't think we have much longer."

A couple passed by their window, walking down the street with their hands interlocked. There were smiles on their face, but something about them was strained. Would they be alive after the war? Would any of them? If The Golden Spire managed to take Sesstria, what would happen to them?

"Are we going to win this war?" Nick said quietly.

"We have to."

"Can we?"

Breck chuckled. "With you on our side, I don't think they have much of a chance. And..." Gently, Breck guided Nick around, so that they were facing each other. His soulmate's face was shining in the sunlight.

"And... what?"

Breck smiled. "And... when this is over, we can do what I've been waiting to do for my entire life." Breck's arms found the small of Nick's back, just above the band of his underwear. He pulled him closer.