2 - Adam

Adam had never paid much attention in history, not in high school and not in the college courses he took, either. But, as they followed Kullver through the winding, cobbled streets of Sesstria, Adam was sure that they had stumbled into a renaissance faire.

What else could it be? What other explanation was there? The vista must've been a backdrop and the town must've been a pop-up roleplaying thing for nerdy little shits. They dyed the water purple, because, maybe, that was how it had been in the olden days?

Kullver was playing along, he was part of it, which made sense because he seemed to know most of the other guys they passed. They waved to him, shouted out greetings, invited him in for a drink, which he politely declined.

Adam, Chris, Mark, and Nick were following closely. The other three weren't talking, merely looking around in stunned silence. They must not have figured it out yet. It was nerdy shit and nerdy shit was nothing to be worried about.

They were all still shirtless and barefooted, except for Kullver, which would've been embarrassing but it seemed relatively common in Sesstria. Seemed that most people were dressed for a pool day or something.

They came to the end of a long street which opened up into a square. An ornate, stone fountain was in the centre, spilling water from dozens of different places, which was all collected in the central pool at the bottom. There were people sitting all around it, but also walking around it. The square was lined with shops and stalls and vendors and activity.

How the hell did they get so many people to participate in this? And some of them looked like normal guys. Weird.

Kullver stopped at the fountain and turned around, facing the four of them. He was bigger than Mark, which was impressive because not many people were bigger than Mark, that was for damned sure.

"Alright," Kullver said. "Where do you live, then? Street name? Hilltown? Matches? Anything? Any names you know?

"Listen," Nick said. "I... I don't think we're explaining ourselves right. I think there's been a misunderstanding. We're from Chicago, Illinois, a city in the United States of America, you know it, right? America? One of the biggest countries on the planet?"

Kullver shook his head. "Friend, I have no idea where that is. And I am telling you that if this 'America' was the biggest country in the world, as you say, I would know of it, Sesstria would know of it."

"But what the fuck is Sesstria?" Mark said, looking around. "What is this?"

Kullver narrowed his eyes at all of them, but not suspiciously this time. He looked genuinely confused.

Kullver turned and gazed at the castle that loomed over everything and sighed. "Here's what we'll do, then. I'll take you to my home, alright? Maybe you can sort out whatever..." he waved at them "this is there?"

"All we need to know is how to get back to Alton Beach. To our campsite. To my truck," Nick said. "We don't need to go anywhere except there."

"And I am telling you that there is no Alton Beach, and no 'Truck' either," Kullver said. "Alright, Goddess beyond, I am getting sick of this. Either you come with me or you can stay here, lost and confused. Which will it be?"

Mark and Nick shared a look and then turned back to Adam and Chris.

"Just to figure out where we are," Nick said. "Alton Beach cannot be that far away. It's impossible. It's still daytime."

"Alright, then," Kullver said, leading them past the fountain and towards a street at the other end of the square. "Follow me."

As they walked, moving past the people and the crowds and the houses and the shops, upwards, towards the castle, Adam turned to Chris.