14 - Adam

The walk back to Sesstria was tense.

The defenders surrounded the convoy of students, watching the trees, hands never far away from their swords. Kullver, Timot, and Breck stuck close to the four of them, Landel, Chris, Adam, and Vinton. Adam guessed that it was because Landel was the Prince of the nation, but, even still, it was nice to have those three around.

They were trying to keep everyone's nerves down, chatting idly amongst each other, but there was an edge to them. They leapt at the slightest noise, eyes darting around.

Chris seemed to be the most anxious out of all of them. He practically attached himself to Kullver, never leaving the man's side. Adam couldn't really blame him, though. Considering he had been chased through the sun forest by a blood-thirsty razor a few days ago.

"So how were the first few days of classes, outsiders?" Breck said, bald head glinting in the sun.

"Not too bad so far," Adam said, looking at Landel. "I'm getting some help with calculations."

"The prince decided to give you a little help?" Breck said, laughing. "You're getting the royal treatment."

Landel tapped Adam on the shoulder. "He barely needs my help at all. Lots of natural talent."

"Shut up," Adam said, smiling.

"It's true."

"What about you, nephew?" Breck said. "What have you been up to?"

Vinton grinned. "Spent most of my nights beating Chris in a panae court."

"Not for long," Chris said. "I keep telling him, one of these days I'm going to get some abilities and then he's in for it. It'll be payback time."

Breck let out a loud, boisterous, deep laugh. "When that happens, just make sure I'm there to see it, yeah?"

After a few hours of walking, they passed under the gates and into the city proper. A group of people had gathered to watch them come in, peeking over the heads of the convoy. Some gave a few students big hugs. Worried dads, probably.

The convoy split up after that, all the students going their separate ways. They were going to be back in Sesstria for a three day break, which, apparently, happened after every six days of classes.

Vinton and Breck split off and made their way to their own home, while the rest of them trudged up to the castle.

Mark was waiting for them in the entrance hall, he pulled Adam and Chris in for a hug when they walked through the door.

"Missed you guys. We heard about the razor attack," Mark said. "Scary stuff, eh?"

"You don't even know the half of it, dad," Chris said.

Adam looked around the room, trying to see where Nick was, but there was no sign of him. Landel, Kullver, and Timot had left the room, probably going to see Esteck, and, other than a few servants rushing around, there was nobody else in the entrance hall.

"Where's my dad?" Adam said.

A worried expression crossed Mark's face. "He's at the razor's tail."

"What? By himself?"

"Yeah," Mark said. "He's had... a rough couple of days. Been thinking a lot about your mom, I think."

Adam's heart sunk. He had thought that his dad was long past that. Even now, when the man drank in front of him, Adam barely registered it because the problems were in the past. But hearing that he was at the pub, in the middle of the day, alone, was worrying.