43 - Chris

Adam was still missing.

Adam was still fucking missing, and so Chris was constantly tormented by thoughts of his best friend dead or captured or injured.

The castle felt empty. The streets of Sesstria looked hollow. Everything reminded him of the danger that Adam was facing.

He needed to distract himself. And, so, he had been spending most of his time in the fields outside of Sesstria with Vinton, practicing with fire.

"Hold it," Vinton said. "Hold it." He was standing a safe distance away, near the treeline.

Chris swished his hands around like he was treading water. He was demanding that the fire move around him in a circle. A great ring of flames swirled around his body, a protective barrier.

He felt the heat on his skin but it was a pleasant warmth. There was no burning, merely comfort. The fire was his now. It did his bidding.

"You're a natural, deelo," Vinton said, crossing his arms and smiling. "That is considered a pretty advanced move."

Chris smiled, concentrating. A bead of sweat rolled down his forehead.

Around and around and around we go. The words came from everywhere and nowhere, a quiet, shy voice.

By now, those voices didn't even make him blink. He had no idea what they were, no idea where they were coming from. But they spoke infrequently and it was easy to ignore.

Maybe Chris was going insane. For now, though, at least, he wasn't going to tell anyone about the voices. The last thing he needed was to get thrown inside a Sesstrian asylum.

He swished a hand upwards in a fluid motion and the fire followed, splitting away from the first ring and creating a second. He asked that the new ring interlock with the old one. And, for a moment, he was balancing two circles of interwoven fire. They flowed around him as though part of an intricate tapestry.

The look on Vinton's face was priceless. A mixture of pride and shock.

But it didn't last. The fire rebelled. Chris was unable to bring it to heel fast enough and the flames grew unwary, some of them licked the ground and a little blaze started on the grass.

Chris tried harder. He concentrated on the flames. He demanded that they listen. But they spun out of control, so Chris blew them out, extinguishing them in a pout of smoke.

Water flew upwards and splashed down over the small fire that was beginning to spread. Vinton swirled his hands around and the water extinguished every smoking blade of grass.

"That was incredible," Vinton said. "You're not perfect but you're pretty advanced. Most kids have to train for years to get the ring down and... I can't even do the double ring, deelo."

Chris smiled and breathed out hard. Asking the fire to do his bidding took a lot of mental and physical energy. He never felt it while he was controlling it, but after it always hit him like a ton of bricks.

"It stopped listening to me," Chris said. "I made the double ring and then it... it got rebellious."

Vinton nodded. "The elements know when you're stretching yourself thin. They can sense a lack of confidence and, yeah, they'll start to do crazy shit."

"Weird," Chris said. Did it have something to do with the voices? What had that one just said? Around and around and around we go.

"You gotta be careful," Vinton said. He moved forward and slid his hand through Chris's. "Fire elels have a little more to be cautious of. If you make a mistake, and I am not around, you could cause a disaster."