5 - Landel

Landel got to the center of the maze just in time to see Vinton snatching the coin and escaping into the other end.

Shit!

Vinton may have gotten a head start, but Landel had always been the faster runner. He could make it.

He dashed cross the little square that formed the center of the maze, crossed the stone floor, and sped into the other side. He turned to the left, peering down the corridor of the maze that Vinton had just disappeared into.

There. Just turning the corner. He felt out for the earth, sensing the dirt and the stone and the hedges of the maze. He turned another corner, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead, and saw Vinton a little further down.

Landel already had hold of the stone, so all he needed to do was lift. With a grunt, he pulled his arms up, willing the stone to obey. It did. The stone floor came up with him, tripping Vinton, causing him to stumble and fall. The coin skittered away from his palm, clacking over the stone.

This was his chance. Landel sprinted towards him, watching for the coin. Vinton scrambled up and looked backwards at Landel. He smiled and twisted himself, holding his hands forward. Initially, nothing happened, but, after a moment, the telltale whooshing of a giant wave boomed over the court. A stream of water appeared from around the corner, snaked over Vinton, and went straight for Landel.

Typical Vinton. Landel twisted his arms around and pulled up a big block of stone from the ground, tilting it, making it divert the water, then he slipped passed it, water splashing his face.

He kept running, getting closer and closer. Vinton pulled himself from the floor and swung his hands to the side, the water flowing with him as it smacked into Landel's chest and sent him flying into the hedge.

Landel smiled at the water blasting him in the face, soaking his hair and shorts. He ran his hands along the hedge behind him and focused on the vines and branches. They twisted in front of him, interlocking, creating a barrier, diverting the water away from his face. He slid along the edge of the hedge with the barrier following him, Vinton's water splashing against it, still trying to get in.

He was near the coin, he could practically hear Vinton's laboured breathing. He pushed up the ground, a big area, because he didn't know where the man was standing.

Vinton cried out. Then there was a thump. Landel smirked. It had worked.

The water stopped. Landel let the barrier go and threw himself forward. Vinton was scrambling for the coin now, on his ass once again. Landel grabbed two vines from nearby hedges and shot them out, twisting them around Vinton's arms. Vinton grunted in pain and was pulled back.

"You griss," he yelled out, a slight smirk on his lips. Landel turned to where Vinton had been looking and saw the glint of the coin in the sunlight. As Vinton still struggled with the vines and branches, Landel scooped it from the ground, saluted to his friend, and ran in the opposite direction, back the way he had come.

He ran as fast as he could, ready for Vinton to appear in front of him, or for a sleet of ice or blast of water to knock him down. But nothing came. Landel smiled to himself, the man was probably still trapped in the vines.

Once he got to the bridge in his corner, he slowed down, peeking around the sides. The small, thin, wooden crossing was built over a large moat of water. If Vinton would be able to stop him at any time, it would be now. He crossed the bridge, looking in both directions ready for a surge.

Just as he reached the end, he saw Vinton turn the corner at the other end of the stadium and pull his hands up, a big wave of water flowing with him, through the moat, towards Landel's bridge.