Interlude

I was drifting. I was asleep within myself. The calm, soothing, tranquil music of the spheres engulfed me, lulling me into my slumber, into my eternal unconscious existence. I was nothing but a feeling, a sensation.

I didn't even know myself.

It was impossible to know how long I had been drifting. So often, recently, I had gone in and out of that state of being. One moment, I was distant, drifting, and the next I was alert and awake. And both states of being had become intolerable. It was a choice between nothingness and hideous awareness. It was a choice between sleep and powerlessness. When I was awake, all I could sense was my soul draining from my body, the essence draining from my life. I was filled with the terrible knowledge that my moments of drifting would become more and more frequent until I never awoke again.

For now, though, I was drifting. I was drifting and dreaming.

Then, without warning, there was sharp, distinct connection. A splintering of fate and soul that tore me out of my drifting and launched me back into consciousness. Without realizing what I was doing, I pulled on the connection, tugging the rope towards me like a jealous child.

"Hello?"

Who was that? He was fuzzy, unclear. I had to swirl around him, move myself closer to his essence, to get a better look.

Adam Fulton. The other young man I had brought here. He was naked. Completely naked. His chest was glimmering with sweat and his jewel was active. I could feel our connection, it wasn't as strong as the one I had with Chris, but it was there, it was unmistakable. Someone had fertilized his jewel, and I knew exactly who that someone was.

"Adam."

The young man's eyes went wide and his head darted around. "Who? Who said that?"

Right, of course. This again. It was going to be harder, I had lost so much soul since the last time I had made myself into a figure. But I needed to do it to communicate with them, that much was clear. If I remained an ethereal voice, Adam would be harder to reach.

I wove myself into that brilliant, pale, slightly-pink person and appeared in front of the newcomer.

He stepped back, mouth open. "What... what are you?" His eyes shifted, taking in everything around him. It didn't take him very long to realize he was naked. He looked down and turned red, then he slapped his hands over his penis. Foolish propriety, pointless decorum. I had known Adam Fulton since he had been a baby, but, again, there was no point in trying to explain that to him.

I swirled my long digits in the air and weaved a garment of soul for him. The light pink swirls wrapped around his chest and his waist.

Adam looked down at the new clothing. He ran his hand through it, disturbing the soul and making it dissipate. "What the fuck is going on?"

I smiled. "I am what is known as The Goddess."

"The Goddess?" He repeated my words dumbly, and looked up from his clothes. "Chris was right?"

I nodded. "I have spoken to your friend."

"You're real?"

A spike of irritation tore through me. I did not have time to explain such trivial things to him, I did not have time to do much at all. If I delayed, our connection could fade before any real communication had happened. I tried not to get angry, though. He didn't know any better. "I am."

He seemed to think for a few moments. The shock and surprise on his face descended into a sort of contemplation. After a few moments of that, his eyebrows got lower and he stared at me intensely.