53 - Adam (18+)

The commons was just as loud as the panae court had been. A band played fast, catchy tunes from a raised platform at the back, and students, of every year, filled the tables along the long, thin room.

Adam couldn't complain. He was feeling pretty happy too.

"Cheers, guys!" Adam lifted his glass of lass to Vinton and Chris.

"Cheers."

"Cheers, man," Chris said.

They clinked their glasses together and Adam took a long, healthy gulp of his drink. Lass had a quality to it. It tasted fine at the beginning of the night, but the more he drank it, the more delicious it became.

"So, how does it feel to be champions?" Adam said.

Vinton laughed. "We're a long way from that."

Chris shrugged. "I don't know, dude. Seeing Jalson and Pwain run away with their tails between their legs made me feel like a champion." He looked around the room and then turned back to them. "I don't think they've left their tent yet."

"I wouldn't. That was a pretty embarrassing performance," Adam said. "They were no match for you two."

"They never get very far," Vinton said. "They've been doing the souls competition for years and they never even get close to being selected for Worlds."

"Worlds?" Chris said, taking another sip of his lass.

Vinton blinked and turned to him, confused. "You don't know? Did I not tell you? Shit." Vinton laughed. "That's the end goal of this whole tournament."

"It's some international competition, then?" Adam said.

Vinton nodded. "Exactly that. The winner of the souls panae competition in Sesstria gets chosen to attend Worlds, which is being held in Boletara this year. And there, Sesstria, Boletara, Paxta, and Norsar all send one team and they fight it out to see who gets to bring home the championship."

"Oh, shit," Chris said. "Sounds intense."

"Yeah," Vinton said. "We have a long way to go before we're good enough to make it to the end, but we're off to a good start."

"I don't know." Adam lifted his glass. "You two were on fire out there."

"Literally," Chris winked.

Adam shook his head, grinning. "You're such a fucking loser."

"Not today I'm not."

"Good point."

Chris turned to Vinton, leaning in close to the man. The two of them had an breezy chemistry. They seemed to fit so well together. It was something Adam had never noticed between Cassandra and Chris. "Who's our next game against?"

"It depends who wins the next couple of games," Vinton said. "They'll join us in the preliminaries."

"Hey guys!" The loud, excited greeting made them all turn their heads to Napsit, who had approached their table with a tall glass of dark liquid in his hand.

"Napsit! Sit down!" Vinton pointed to a spot next to Adam and Napsit slid into it.

The new arrival looked at Adam. "Is Landel not coming?"

"He's in a meeting with a teacher. He said he would meet us here." Adam poked his head over the crowd of students and to the door. Nothing. Still no Landel. Clearly, it was a long meeting.

"I... Correct me if i'm wrong, but I've heard a rumor that you and him... you're together?" Napsit said.

Adam nodded. "Yup."