72 - Breck and Nick

Vinton is your brother's legacy, sure, but he is also yours.

The words rang through Breck's mind like a chiming bell, echoing, echoing, echoing.

Nick had said that to him. Those words, that feeling, the meaning, had sunk into him like the rays of the sun on a hot day. Warm and pleasant. Even now, when he thought about them, he could almost imagine he was laying on a beach on a hot day.

Goddess, Nick Fulton was a good man. As if Breck needed any more proof of that fact.

Vinton is your brother's legacy, sure, but he is also yours.

Still, though...

The chunk of ice shattered as Breck cleaved his sword through it. His nephew smirked at him from beside the lake.

Yeah, the words had been nice. They had meant a lot.

"Had enough, uncle?"

But Breck couldn't help but think that they were fucking bullshit. Especially now.

Breck ground his feet into the earth, stabilizing himself, getting ready for the next block of clear, light-purple ice. "No."

Vinton raised an eyebrow, raised his arm, and raised another chunk of ice from Hullit's lake.

Breck steadied his sword and chopped down into the block, shattering it as it sped through the air. "I could do this all day, you little shit."

The corner of Vinton's mouth rose, a sly smirk crossing his face. He flexed his arms, leaned down, and swung both of them forwards. From the lake, two huge chunks of ice flew towards Breck.

He didn't have much time to think about what to do. He was guided purely by instinct. As the blocks darted through the air, Breck stepped to the side, and when the ice had gotten close enough, he viciously swiped his sword horizontally. The two ice chunks exploded into shards of snow. It all landed on the grass and forest litter, a light dusting, sizzling and melting the moment it met the sun.

Breck swung his sword around, preparing for another block.

"Impressive." Vinton put his hands on his hips. "Didn't think you would stop that one."

"You underestimate me." Breck tried to disguise his exhaustion. They had been doing this for a while now, and the sun was at its apex. Breck was tired.

Vinton rubbed his hands together and walked to Breck. "Maybe you shouldn't stay out so late, uncle. Old men like you need plenty of sleep."

Breck chuckled and playfully punched his nephew in the shoulder. "How do you know what time I was out until?"

"Cause I heard you get back home. You slammed the door."

Breck breathed out. "Sorry."

Vinton shrugged. "It's alright. Not like I have to worry about going to The Academy anymore. You did startle Chris, though. He practically fell out of the bed when he heard the slam." His nephew smiled.

"Good thing he had his soulmate there to protect him."

"Good thing."

The day's training was finished, and so the two of them started the trek back to Sesstria. Hullit's Lake disappeared behind them as they navigated their way through the sun-drenched forest.

"How's that going, by the way?" Breck asked after a couple of moments of silence.

"What?"

"You and Chris?"

A contemplative pause. From the corner of his eye, Breck could see his nephew smiling. "Amazing. Fucking amazing. He's everything I have ever wanted. Funny. Charming. Sexy." Vinton turned to Breck. "This is going to sound a little... overblown, but i've never felt so happy, never."