81 - Breck

Breck shivered. Not because it was cold, it wasn't. Breck shivered because of The Spread.

A hint of daylight had begun to creep into the sky, turning the dark night into a soft, early-morning blue.

Breck could barely see The Spread in the darkness, but he could see the shadows of the giant trees looming over the city of Garresz, and he could hear the clicking, whirring, chirping, and buzzing of the strange insects that lived inside of it.

"So, this is The Spear." Nick eyed the road that connected the city and the jungle. A packed-dirt, shoddy pathway that would barely have been considered a road in Sesstria. Given that it seemed to be used infrequently, Breck doubted that the Paxtans cared much about the upkeep.

"We'll be following it for a long time, I think." Breck eyed the pathway. "Unless this hrew has good information to give us."

"I'm ready," Nick said, voice solid, serious. "Whatever happens next, I'm ready." Breck looked over at him, and Nick met his gaze. Nick nodded. "Remember what you said, whatever happens, we keep moving, we keep going forward."

Breck couldn't help but smile. But there was an uneasiness building inside of him as well. Nick could not get hurt, Breck would not allow him to get hurt. Whatever was waiting for them inside The Spread, it would not be safe, and the idea of Nick encountering danger made him uneasy, made him want to pull out a sword and start swinging it at anything that would cause him harm.

Henrov and Geer were the next to arrive. They walked out of the city and joined Breck and Nick at the start of The Spear. Henrov gave them a weary glance, and Geer gave them a short, curt nod.

"Warlan and Mikh?" Henrov asked, putting his bag on the ground.

Breck shook his head.

"And the hrew?"

"Nothing yet."

Henrov turned to The Spread. "We need to get moving."

Breck turned to Nick. "We do. Especially because The Golden Spire knows we're here."

Henrov's head snapped backwards so fast that Breck thought it was going roll off of his shoulders. His eyes were wide, astonished. Geer, likewise, looked like he had just seen a razor in his home.

"What are you talking about?" Henrov said quickly, spit flying out of his mouth as he stammered out the words.

"We were attacked by Maxil, by The Shadow Knight," Breck said.

Henrov's face didn't change. "When?"

"A few hours ago, in a quiet part of the city. We only managed to survive because of some straw that cushioned our fall," Breck said.

Nick stepped up, stood beside Breck, and nodded in agreement. "There were a group of cultists too, red robes and everything."

Henrov's surprised, astonished expression faded into a deep, hot anger. He was practically shaking. "How has this happened? How have they figured it out?"

"No idea," Breck said. "Someone must've given the information away."

"But... who knew about this?" Geer asked.

Henrov waved away the question. "That hardly matters now. What's important is how we move forward. We need to be extremely careful. With a shadow caster on our trail, this whole thing just got much more dangerous. Not to mention the fact that they'll know we're coming to blow up their operation." The older man shook his head angrily. "This could not be going any worse, could it? This is terrible."

"What's terrible?" The voice came from the pair of shadows that were quickly approaching from the side, Mikh and Warlan.

It didn't take very long to explain the situation to those two. All things considered, they took it well. Mikh tapped Breck on the shoulder, told him that he was glad that Breck is alright.