58 - Chris

"Wait." Chris pushed himself up further and fixed the pillow behind his back. He wasn't sure he had heard Adam right. "What... what happened to me?"

"You exploded, dude." Adam turned and looked at everyone in the room and then faced Chris again. "You... ahh... levitated into the air and then exploded. Just a big ball of fire."

Exploded?

A big ball of fire?

Images of flaming car crashes and nuclear explosions filled his head. He smiled and gazed around the room. Adam was joking, right? This was all one, big joke. It had to be.

But nobody was smiling back at him. Their faces remained somber, serious. His dad looked especially worried, his rugged face was graver than usual.

None of this made any sense. How could that have happened to him? All he remembered was the voices, the heat, and then waking up in the palace. If he had exploded into a ball of fire, there was no way he would be alive. How could a person survive something like that?

Chris lifted up his arm, as if presenting evidence. "How come my arm is still covered with skin, then?"

"Ahh." Medic Weel nodded, lifting up the instrument he had been using to examine Chris's waist. He strung it around his neck and let it hang there. "That is a complicated question." He eyed the large group of people in the room. "And the answer should probably be given privately."

Chris shook his head. "I trust these guys, Weel. Whatever you have to tell me, they can hear it."

"Are you sure?"

Chris gazed around the room one more time. Breck and Nick. Kullver and Timot. Esteck. Adam and Landel. His dad. Vinton.

Vinton. It was odd to think that he had only known the man for a few months. It felt like they had known each other for their entire lives. He tried not to linger too long on Vinton's handsome face, but that was pretty hard.

Still, there wasn't a single man in that room that he wouldn't have trusted with his life. Most of them had proved themselves to be loyal and, if they hadn't, they had been vouched for.

"I'm sure."

Medic Weel nodded and stood up. He clasped his hands in front of him. "You are - what is known as - a realto."

"A realto?" Again, Chris wasn't sure if he had heard that right.

"A realto." Medic Weel breathed out. "This is an awkward thing to tell you, Chris, because it is an extremely rare thing for someone to be. What I can tell you is that a realto is a very rare, very powerful type of elel that goes beyond controlling their element and can actually, sometimes, become their element."

So... what? Chris could become fire? That was what the explosion had been? Even the thought of it was ridiculous. It was fucking absurd. If someone had said those words to him back home, he would've laughed in their face.

But things were different in Sesstria, and Medic Weel was being deadly serious.

Chris hadn't felt like fire. It had been hot, sure, but how had he actually become fire?

"I... don't know if I understand," Chris said.

"Neither do I, to be completely honest," Medic Weel said. "I'm going to have to do more research on the phenomenon. But... for now... what I can tell you is that you are stable, you are safe, and we have no reason to believe you won't stay that way."

Mark breathed out and nodded. "Good. Thank God." His dad reached out and grabbed Chris's arm. "I... can't believe you didn't tell me you could use magic. When they told me that you were an elel, I almost started to laugh."