63 - Vinton (18+)

The rain fell against the top of the carriage, pattering and splashing and dripping down the sides. Droplets slunk from the top edge of the windows, tumbling to the ground.

Vinton couldn't see much of his surroundings. The verdant green valleys and hills, the colourful foliage, and the villages of dark grey stone were obscured by swathes of thick mist, not to mention the pouring rain that pelted the ground, coagulating into small puddles. Everything was fuzzy and strange, shape and colour in the distance.

The carriage, pulled by very tired jinipers, rumbled over a quaint stone bridge, crossing a serpentine stream.

"How long do you think?" Chris said, rubbing his legs. "I don't know how much longer I can sit in this carriage, man."

Vinton pointed out of the window and into the milky, murky distance. "Wirliton is somewhere over there."

"Do you know how long?"

Vinton had never seen an uncute Chris. Angry Chris was cute. Happy Chris was cute. Sad Chris was cute. Moaning, writhing Chris was cute. Nervous Chris was cute. And now, once again, Vinton stared across at uncomfortable Chris, restless Chris, and found him ridiculously cute. Just another one to add to the list.

"I don't know," Vinton said. "But we've been traveling for two days now, it can't be much longer."

"Tell that to my fucking ass, man. It's cramping badly."

"I can tell that to your ass tonight, if you want." Vinton winked.

Chris shook his head, clearly struggling to suppress a smile. "Your mind is in the fucking gutter, Vinton."

"I can't help it, deelo. Not when you say things like that." Vinton smiled and turned back to look out of the window. In the distance, through the rain and the fog, a large mass began to form, a dark mass.

"Look," Vinton said, grabbing Chris's arm and pulling him over to his side of the carriage. He pointed out of the window at the ever-solidifying thing in the distance.

"What is it?" Chris said, leaning over Vinton to stare out of the window, getting rocked by the carriage as it crunched over the cobblestone road.

"Wirliton, I think."

Their carriage plunged its way through the drenched landscape, twisting along a road that seemed to be heading in the direction of that mass. The two of them continued to stare out of the window as they got closer.

Soon, it became clear that the thing in the distance was Wirliton. A city of dark, grey stone and square buildings appeared through the fog, dreary and desolate on the northern shore of the continent.

Not for the first time, Vinton found himself missing Sesstria. He had only been gone for a day, they had only just crossed the border, but the rainy, cold weather of Boletara was depressing him. It was oppressive. The sky hung low, as if threatening to crush the people below.

"Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow, eh?" Chris said, shifting and sitting down beside Vinton. "Wouldn't this give the water elels an unfair advantage?"

Vinton put a hand over Chris's shoulder and pulled him closer. "Honestly, that's perfect. Everyone knows that I'm the one that carries this team anyway."

"Maybe if the rain drenches my super cool realto abilities," Chris said, leaning into Vinton and resting his head on the bigger man's chest.

"Super cool realto abilities? Last time you fucking exploded."

"And it was cool, wasn't it?"

Vinton ran an affectionate hand through Chris's hair, rubbing his scalp. "It was a lot of things. But yeah, I guess it was cool."