24 - Vinton

Vinton wasn't tired, not even a little bit.

When Chris, Adam, and Landel had stumbled out of the commons, Vinton's night had only just begun. He ordered Napsit and himself another drink from the bar, another pitcher of lass, and plopped himself down across from his favorite hopeless romantic.

Napsit's mind seemed to be stuck on the exam.

"Master Inman said it wasn't going to be on the exam, though. And I took him at his word and it was like... ten questions." Napsit took a gulp of his lass. "What if I fucking failed and have to take it again next term? Or what if I get held back? I cannot afford that, my dads would be fucking pissed! They already think I'm a lazy loser."

Vinton laughed. "Calm down. I'm sure you did fine. It wasn't so bad. And, honestly, Inman will probably pass you so he doesn't have to see you again, if for nothing else."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Napsit said. He chuckled into his lass, face turning red. Then his slight smile dipped into a frown. "You know, it sucks having Cristen for a brother. I'll never live up to him. I'll never be the man he's become." He shook his head. "Perfect Cristen, with his stupid fucking soulmate, and his stupid fucking job, and all his awards from his years at The Academy."

Napsit was one of those drunks that became self-pitying after too much alcohol. Vinton could see where the conversation was heading, as sure as the moon in the sky, and eagerly changed the topic.

"So... what do you think about the outsiders?"

That seemed to rouse the redhead out of his contemplation. He raised his head again. "Chris and Adam?"

"Who else?"

"They're nice guys." Napsit shrugged. "You hang out with them way more than I do, why don't you tell me?"

Vinton raised an eyebrow. "How much time do you have?"

Napsit spat out a laugh. "I'm not going to lie, they are pretty fucking sexy. It's only a matter of time before they get snatched up by some lucky front-jewel."

Yeah, and, for Chris, that front-jewel was going to be Vinton. It had to be. There was nobody else in Sesstria who knew the outsider like Vinton did. Nobody else who cared about him like Vinton did.

"I don't know if you've heard this," Vinton said. "But... they come from a place where... most men don't like dick. They have this other type of person. Hard to explain."

Napsit nodded, swallowing. "I heard. Men that don't like men. It's fucking weird." His eyes turned downwards, and he gazed at his half-drunk lass. "I wonder if I would have better luck there. Maybe one of those... other people would actually like me."

Vinton sighed. This conversation was heading for the rocks. "It's more than weird. It's infuriating. I've been staying in the same room as Chris for months now, constantly around his body, alone, and... he doesn't want me."

Vinton had always been good at holding his alcohol. But, that night, right then, it was starting to hit him. There was a pleasant glow to the world around him, one that made him certain that there would be no consequences to speaking his mind. Unlike Napsit, he was a happy and confident drunk. It was one of his special abilities.

"Sucks for Chris and Adam, though," Napsit said, lifting his glass. "Their weird customs are making them miss out on the most eligible bachelors in Sesstria. I'm not even saying this to inflate your ego, but I think most back-jewels would jump at the chance if you gave them a glance." He narrowed his eyes jokingly. "And I hate you for that fact."

"Most have," Vinton said, laughing. "But... well... I don't know how much I should tell you, but Landel and I have a plan."

Napsit's eyes narrowed. "A plan?"