73 - Nick

Nick took a few days to think about it, to think about the plan, about the consequences, about how they were going to pull it off. It was a crazy idea, it was ridiculous, but it was also his only chance to make a difference in Sesstria.

The truth was that if he wanted to get back to his female partner, he had to pretend to be gay.

So, life was normal for a few days. On the outside, Nick must've looked calm and collected. Breck and him patrolled the streets of Hilltown as they normally did, breaking up stupid, petty fights, helping dads find their missing children, talking to each other. But on the inside, Nick was awash with anxieties, worries, questions.

"Do we know every Yevan?" Nick said one day, as they rounded the sparkling, trickling fountain.

"Timot and Kullver." Breck dipped a hand into the water and splashed it on his face. "Goddess, it's hot." He ran his hand over his head. "Henrov and Geer."

"I haven't been missing those two."

Breck chuckled. "I don't think anybody misses them when they finish training. They're prahs. Henrov moreso than Geer."

Breck was a hard man to dislike, and so him calling those two, "prahs," was really damning. If Breck didn't like them, nobody would like them.

But Nick pushed those old guys out of his mind, and tried to think about the others. He had seen most of them around, but didn't know exactly who everyone was. "Warlan and Mikh, the two young ones."

"Former panae stars, actually," Breck said.

They re-entered Hilltown, the road slowly rising, a gentle incline. The main thoroughfare was busy, bustling with guys going about their business. By now, Nick and Breck were a familiar sight for the people of this neighborhood. They got friendly nods as they walked up the road.

"And then there's that nerdy looking one, right? Nollan?" The young man seemed more interested in books than swords. Why he had joined the defenders, Nick had no idea. "Who's his soulmate? The one with the braided, blonde hair? The fire elel?

"Jefflo." Breck turned to the side, leading them into a smaller street. Two stately, stone manners bordered the road, granting a little bit of reprieve from the blazing sun. Usually, Breck didn't mind the heat, but he knew that Nick did.

"Jefflo. Right. He's kind of a cocky bastard, isn't he?"

Breck spat out a deep laugh. "If you said that, I wouldn't disagree with you."

The next few moments passed in comfortable silence. If pretending to be soulmates was like this, it wouldn't be so bad. Nick enjoyed this. Breck was one of his best friends, and Nick did not mind spending time with him, not even a little bit.

They turned the corner and began to walk down a slightly wider, slightly busier road. The Hilltown tailor was on the corner of the street, a large, three-story building that served the entire district. Men entered and exited the complex, some of them carrying freshly pressed suits, or small pieces of fabric that Nick didn't recognize, or various other items of clothing, hats, vests, jackets, pants, shoes.

Nick breathed out as they walked towards the tailor. He was having a hard time concentrating on his work, there was too muck to think about. "When do you think we should start?"

"Start?" Breck turned to Nick as they walked. Something about Nick's expression must've clarified his question, because Breck nodded. "Oh, yeah." He cleared his throat. "I'd be ready to start whenever you are. The faster we get moving, the faster we can start to make a difference." He lowered his voice, moving closer to Nick. "And Kullver and Timot did mention that operation in-the-works. If we want to be a part of that, we'll need to join soon."