39 - Vinton

It was a quieter and emptier breakfast in the dining room. The sun was bright and vibrant, causing the glasses and the cutlery to shine, but the mood was dour. The four of them ate in relative silence.

Vinton had wanted to support Chris and hadn't wanted to eat by himself in The Paxtan Estate, so he had stayed at the palace. But him being there didn't liven up the discussion much. And it was surprisingly tough to keep up the pretense that him and Chris were just friends. It had only been an hour and he had been tempted to kiss the man many times.

Chris was just too hot, and apparently that was a blessing and a curse.

Esteck ate his food with a dignified grace, as if unworried about what was going on. A small crease in his brow as he concentrated on his meal betrayed a little tension.

Behind the king, one of the servants that wasn't Maxil, a guy Vinton didn't know, stood at dutiful attention, eyes forward and fixed on the wall behind Vinton's head.

Mark sat next to the king, picking at his food, eating small bites. His eyes wandered around the room, looking at all the paintings.

Vinton had no idea why liking men was such a big deal in their world, but he respected Chris's reluctance. Mark didn't seem to suspect them at all, though, which was a good thing. Even as Vinton reached down and grabbed Chris's thigh, giving it a squeeze, Mark didn't give any sign that he saw the gesture.

Chris smacked him gently. "Cut that out, man." He kept his voice low.

Vinton winked at him. They were sitting far enough away from the other two so that their conversation wouldn't be audible. At least he hoped it wouldn't be. "Just trying to take your mind off things, deelo."

"Take my mind off of Adam being kidnapped? I don't think anything will take my mind off of that." He took an absent bite of his food, chewed it viciously, and gulped it down.

"He'll be fine. He has Breck and Kullver looking out for him. I don't like the Shadow Knight's chances," Vinton said.

Chris grinned very slightly. But any sort of smile on the man's face was a victory that day, considering he hadn't been able to get anything from him for hours.

"You really think he'll be ok?" Chris said.

"I know he will."

Chris smiled, truly this time. Chris let his hand fall down under the table and mingle with Vinton's. They were holding hands in front of Mark. It was beneath the table, completely hidden, but still it was a step in the right direction.

Vinton could hardly believe how far they had come. It had only been a few days ago that Chris had been protesting his straightness. And since then Vinton had had the most amazing sex in his life. It was true what they said about soulmates. The moment he had entered Chris that night, he had known that they were made for each other.

He would never forget what it felt like to look down on Chris, moaning below him. The man's thick, meaty pecs had bounced a little as Vinton had pushed into him. His skin had been shiny with sweat. His ass had been slick and tight, taking Vinton's cock like a pro.

It had been perfect.

Vinton squeezed Chris's hand and rubbed a thumb overtop of the other man's. Even that was enough to produce a jolt of electricity.

Mark broke the silence in the room. He spoke loudly, to everyone around. "When the razors attacked you guys, I think I realized that this world wasn't the magical fairytale I had thought." He paused. "But... this... this is something different. This place is dangerous, very dangerous. There is something going on in Sesstria, something I... I don't like."