68 - Adam

The moon was fucking huge. It dominated the sky, lighting up the sparse clouds that drifted around it. Endlessly bright stars twinkled in the surrounding blackness, always shining, always present.

Landel and Adam held hands as they walked through the dark streets of Sesstria. For a while, they didn't say anything. They strolled over the cobbles in a comfortable silence. Adam breathed in the chilly, fresh night air. He turned up to the sky and thought of his home, his mom, his... girlfriend.

"What do you think the future has in store for us?" Adam said, finally breaking the silence.

Landel gripped Adam's hand tighter and sighed into the night. "Honestly, Ads, I don't know. There is so much that is yet to come. The future is like a tangled web. Everytime I try and touch a strand to see where it leads, it breaks under my fingertip."

There was no doubt about that. The future of Sesstria was very uncertain. Boletara had fallen to the cult. Wirliton had gone completely dark. Sesstria hadn't been able to get any communication in or out of that city. The gates remained closed. The only thing they had learned was that the cult was rebranding. Soon after the occupation of Wirliton, large flags had been draped over the side of the stone walls. The flag was of a straight, strong golden spire on a pink background. The Cult of The Golden Spire is what people were calling it now. Adam hated that name, it sounded too regal.

And, beyond that, everyday they were receiving new reports about another Boletaran town or village that had erected that flag, declaring themselves for the The Golden Spire. Whether or not the people of those towns actually believed in what the cult was spreading was unclear. Adam guessed they were being forced to worship The One at swordpoint.

Yes, Sesstria's future was uncertain. The Goddess's future was uncertain. All of their futures were fucking uncertain. But that wasn't what he had meant.

Adam stopped walking. Landel turned around and looked back at him, a questioning expression on his face. Adam reached out and grabbed Landel's other hand, so they were standing together, completely united.

"I mean... what do you think the future has in store for us."

Landel's eyes got wider for a second as Adam made his point clear.

"What... what do you mean?"

"I... I'm just confused. I don't know what to think anymore. Sometimes, I feel like I did when I first got here. I want to figure out what The Goddess needs and then disappear back to my old world. I think that the second I finish getting rid of The Golden Spire, I will beg Her to send me back home."

With every word he said, he could see Landel's face get sadder. The Prince gulped and nodded along, but Adam could tell it was paining him to hear the truth.

"And then..." Adam continued. "I think of you." He pulled up Landel's hands and kissed the back of them. "I think of what we have and how much I fucking cherish it. I think about how much I love you and how deep that feeling is and how I never, ever, ever want to live without it. I think about all of that and then I think that I'm never going to leave Sesstria. I think about that and I forget about my mom, and Evelyn, and all of my friends, and my entire life back home." He paused, searching Landel's face for the answer. "I don't know how to make those things fit anymore, and I can't pretend that they're going to."

Landel didn't say anything for a while. They stared at each other, bathed in the soft glow of the silver moonlight. A few mibigs buzzed in the air around them, small dots of green light.

"I want you to be King with me," Landel said finally. He spoke softly, as if afraid his words were going to hurt someone. "That's all I know, Ads. I want us to rule Sesstria together. I want us to get confirmed. I want us to have children together."

Children. How the fuck was that even possible? Adam knew how it worked in Sesstria, but the idea was still extremely foreign. The idea of having kids with Landel, of raising a family with his soulmate, was appealing, though. So fucking appealing.

But that wasn't the part he focused on, there was something more pressing.

"But... how could I be the King? I have no idea what it takes."

"You might not have an idea, but you have it. You are smart, compassionate, clever, thoughtful, and loving. Your dedication to this country has never ceased to amaze me, Adam. I know you don't think you have the formal training or the ability to run this place with me, but I know that you do. I see it inside of you everyday."

Heat ran to his cheeks. His boyfriend was heaping on compliments like Adam was his favourite dessert and nice words were the fucking toppings.

"I... I can't make any promises. My mom..."

Landel nodded, a certainty to the gesture. "I get that. If I had the chance to see my other dad again, I would jump at it. I'm not going to resent you for that. But, just know that, wherever you go, I go."

Adam shook his head. "I couldn't ask you to abandon your people."

"But I wouldn't be. Uncle Kullver would be more than capable of inheriting the throne. And then whatever kid he and Timot make can inherit it." Landel smiled. "I'm coming with you, whatever you choose."

Those words meant the world to him. Yes, the future was uncertain. Adam still didn't know what the answers to all of his questions were going to be. But Landel and him were going to be there, together, to find out. Whatever happened, he wouldn't have to leave the love of his life. He would never have to make that decision.

A calm, unlike anything he'd ever felt, washed over him. Adam leaned in and kissed his soulmate. The moon as their only witness, they came together. Landel's soft lips met Adam's for the hundredth time, but it felt like the first.

It always felt like the first.

💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎
💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎
💎💎  End of Part Two 💎💎
💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎
💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎