83 - Breck and Nick

Towards the end of the second day of their journey into The Spread, when the light began to dim, and the hum of the insects grew louder, Breck saw another hrew.

So far, Trllai had been the only member of the jungle-dwelling people that he had seen. But, as they passed by a small, dense clearing, another hrew was plucking tiny leaves off of a crop of plants and placing the leaves into a woven basket.

Trllai waved to the man as they passed. The hrew farmer waved back, a broad smile on his face. He noticed the rest of them following after Trllai, and he offered them similar waves.

"Didn't expect them to be friendly," Warlan said, wildly waving his hand back at the man. "Didn't Unil say that they are famously secretive?"

Trllai chuckled and looked back over his shoulder as he walked. "Nobody comes this deep into our lands, so they assume we don't want them here. We do not suffer violent incursions, but my people are kind, welcoming. The rest of the world just doesn't know."

Henrov grunted. "Let's hope that Riiu is as friendly."

Trllai said nothing. He turned back around, and they continued to walk.

As they weaved their way deeper and deeper into The Spread, as the light continued to dim, they saw more hrews. Some were sitting on the ground, backs against the giant trees, staring up at the canopy. Others were working, sewing baskets, stitching crallos, or farming.

Most of them looked similar to Trllai. The hrew seemed to be a small people. They were short, dark-brown-skinned, and wore their long, black hair in braids or tails. Of course, all of them were wearing a crallo.

"We must be getting close to Yvvi, right?" Nick asked from beside Breck.

"I think so. Or else a small town." He nodded towards a pair of hrews playing, laughing beside a tree. "We haven't seen anyone else for days, and now they're everywhere. They must be coming from some sort of settlement."

For a moment, Breck looked down at his fake soulmate. Nick was walking confidently, steadily. Which was surprising only because Breck had assumed that Nick would have a hard time getting used to the crallo. Breck didn't know everything about the outsider's old world, but it sounded much more... prudish about things like that. Still, though, Nick was wearing the crallo and was pushing forward.

Breck was proud of him.

If anything, Breck was the one feeling uncomfortable in the crallo. He had a big dick, he knew that, and the piece of fabric at the front, after minor alterations from Trllai, only barely managed to cover it. More than that, though, whenever he took a few steps behind Nick, his eyes fell onto the other man's ass. Round. Firm. The piece of fabric rested on the top of it, following the curve.

Breck liked asses, he was a front-jewel after all, and Nick's was nice, there was no denying that. Breck would've been blind not to notice. Fucking blind.

Still, Nick was his friend, and he came from that prudish, "straight" world. If the other man ever caught him looking, he would probably stop talking to Breck.

So, Breck tried not to look. It was hard, though.

The road jerked to the right, a jagged turn, the sharpest one they had done so far. They followed it, sticking close to Trllai. But, the moment they rounded the edge of the turn, Breck knew that they wouldn't need much more guidance. Their destination was obvious.

At the end of the road, lit up by multi-coloured lanterns, was a giant tree at the edge of a pond. But the trunk of the tree was not the solid base of brown Breck had come to expect. This tree had humongous gashes and holes carved into its side, all around it, from the bottom of the trunk, to the beginning of the canopy.