77 - Breck (18+)

"Where are they?" Geer shielded his eyes against the sun, and scanned their surroundings.

Henrov grunted, looked up, and shook his head. "We should've been gone by now. I knew those two were going to be trouble."

The Southern Gate was one of the more impressive pieces of architecture in Sesstria. Most travelers entered under its arch, and it served well as a first impression of the city that it guarded. Breck never got tired of seeing the giant, pink crystal that had been set into the top of the arch, shining brightly in the sun. The large, metallic gate hung low over the proceedings below, threatening to drop if there were any signs of trouble.

Which made sense, given the constant monster attacks.

"I'm sure they'll be here," Breck said. "Young guys are weird about time, aren't they? They have more of it left, so they spend it without care."

Henrov spat on the ground. "Probably fucking. Those two can't keep their hands off of each other. What was Unil thinking?" The grizzled, scarred man looked at Breck and Nick. "What was he thinking?"

Nick pointed out into the crowd. "There."

The rest of them turned to look. Sure enough, coming from the main street of the Matches, Warlan and Mikh were running towards them. As they got closer, Warlan grabbed Mikh's shoulders, a huge smile on his face, and launched himself into the air, he soared for a moment and then landed on the ground again. He shook his blonde hair and laughed.

Mikh was the first to approach. He gulped in a long, deep breath and waved an apologetic hand around. "Sorry, Henrov. So sorry. We lost track of time."

Warlan winked at the group.

Breck tried to suppress the smile that wanted to split his lips, but he wasn't able to. Beside him, leaning against the wall, Nick chuckled.

Henrov wasn't pleased, though. The man's sneer deepened, he lifted up a single, venomous finger, and stuck it in Mikh's face. "If this becomes a problem, I will send you back to this city. We have no space for fuck-ups and mistakes on this mission."

Mikh nodded wordlessly. Warlan grunted out an apology, the smile disappearing from his face.

Henrov crossed his arms, then, and looked over the gathered group of defenders. "At least you all managed to wear plain clothes. That's something, I guess."

It was true. The six of them were a squad of defenders, but they definitely didn't look like it. They were dressed as travelers, as a family ready to hit the road. Breck was wearing a white, sleeveless shirt, black shorts, and tall, sturdy boots. He had gone for the casual but intimidating look, and he hoped he had succeeded. Nick, though, had gone for the just casual look. The smaller man was dressed in a short-sleeved, green shirt, which was tucked into his tightish, brown pants.

"Alright." Henrov cleared his throat and looked around them. People were flowing in and out of the city, moving beneath the gate like a steady river. "Is everybody ready? We have the provisions we need?"

In answer, Breck lifted up the sack he had brought for both him and Nick. It was a large traveling bag, and would contain most of the things they needed. A change of clothes. Some dried meat and cheese. A large sum of keeps that the defenders had given them.

Henrov nodded at the bag, and then did the same thing to Mikh and Warlan's sack. Warlan turned around, showing the bag that he was carrying on his back. The bottom of the bag was weighed down by something heavy, something dense. Bramblaws.

"Good. Ok." Henrov took a long, deep breath. His frown never left his face. "Let's go."

The six of them entered the river of people, and followed the current under the large, stone gate. As they passed beneath it, Breck looked up. The metal barrier was perched above them, stretching upwards towards the black ceilings.