41 - Landel

"The tracks go into there." Timot stood up from the rocks and peered into the darkness of the cave. He pointed down at the entrance. "Looks like the Shadow Knight released him and they walked in together."

Even Landel could see the faint footprints on the sandy beach.

Nick strode past him and into the cave, he turned as he moved. "What are we waiting for?" He pulled out his sword and turned back around, continuing to move away from them.

Breck was the first to follow him, he didn't even hesitate. The big man unsheathed his sword and jogged to catch up with Nick.

Timot turned back to Kullver and then to Landel.

"Can't let them walk into a deathtrap, can we?" Landel said, already getting his senses ready for a vicious fight. He beckoned for Kullver and Timot to follow him and then entered the darkness of the cave.

It didn't take very long to catch up with Nick and Breck, they were stumbling around in the dark and had been forced to seek refuge with Timot, who was casting a big ball of light that illuminated the interior.

They walked together, swords drawn, powers ready, and ventured deep into the cave. They moved quietly behind Timot.

This was it. They were going to save Adam. Landel trusted Timot and was confidant that the man had found the correct track.

Landel only hoped they weren't too late.

When Nick broke the silence, it was stunning. He spoke quietly and calmly, but his voice echoed off the walls. "Are we ready for this? For what we're going to face?"

Landel didn't know. He wasn't confident in his own ability to defeat the Shadow Knight. If it was just him versus the shadow caster, Landel would likely not survive. But with the five of them? A talented light caster and two other defenders? Their chances were better.

"We've done this before," Breck said, his deep voice carrying even further. "We will get him out of here and take care of that... shadow guy."

Nick nodded, clutching his sword so tight it was practically vibrating.

They continued to descend into the blackness of the cave. Timot's light was a sea of clarity in a chasm of darkness. With every step, Landel felt that they were about to fall into the end of the world.

When he noticed the pink hue in the distance, he thought it was the darkness playing tricks on him. But the closer they got, the brighter it became. A pink luminescence.

"Does anyone else see that?" Kullver said.

Breck nodded. "The pink?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, I see it."

"Is it..."

"A crystal vein," Landel said. "A piece of the Goddess."

"This is why they brought him here," Nick said. "I know this is why."

But the giant chamber at the end of the cave, the one with the crystal vein running through it, was empty. There was no sign of Adam or the Shadow Knight, just the dimming Goddess.

Nick strode forwards. "Where is he?"

Timot let the light fall, causing the room to descend into a pink glow. He lowered himself to the ground and searched around the rocky bottom of the cave. The rest of them watched, tense, waiting for him to find some trace, to find some explanation for the absence.

"There were dozens of people in here," Timot said. He turned and looked backwards and then started, cautiously, moving in that direction. "They... shuffled this way."