59 - Vinton

Before Chris, Vinton had loved sleeping alone. If a back-jewel had stayed too long, he had always kicked them out with a polite, "you're still here?" He had always made it clear that what he was looking for was a quick fuck and not someone to keep him warm at night.

But now sleeping by himself was torture.

Vinton turned over to the other side of the large mattress and tried to will himself to fall asleep, tried to force his mind to slip into unconsciousness. But it pushed back against him. The more he tried to calm his thoughts and empty his head, the more his mind raced.

Vinton wasn't one to worry, he had never been a worrier. He was proud of his carefree, good-humoured approach to life. Life was meant to be lived that way, free from anxiety and nagging concern.

But he couldn't stop the questions that swam through him mind, picking at the edges of his consciousness.

What had happened between Chris and his dad, between Adam and Nick? Were they still talking? Was it finished? Had they gone to the Razor's Tail for drink or something? Fuck, Vinton hoped that everything had gone fine.

It was still difficult to understand why being attracted to a man was such a horrible, terrible thing for the guys back in their world. Chris had explained it to him, he had told him that story about his friend, but the idea of it still struck Vinton as misguided and strange. Why did it matter if someone wanted to use their dick or get fucked by one?

A panicked, muffled pounding echoed into his room. It was coming from the hallway, coming from the front of the Paxtan Estate.

Vinton's heart fell into his stomach and he jumped out of bed. He raced to his bedroom door and slid it open, peering out into the dark hallway beyond.

The thudding sound was coming from the front door. It continued as before, a quick, energetic knocking.

It was Chris. It had to be Chris. Who else would it have been? It was the middle of the night.

Vinton ran down the second-floor hallway and raced down the stairs. The noise got louder and louder as he approached the front door. He grabbed the handle and swung it open.

And there he was. Just seeing him, standing in front of his door, bathed in silver moonlight, made a smile breakout on Vinton's face. But that smirk vanished when Vinton took a closer look at him.

Chris was frowning, distracted. He had his fists clenched at his side.

"What happened?" Vinton said, worry creeping up his spine.

"Can I come in?"

Vinton nodded and opened the door further. Chris entered and Vinton shut the door behind him, closing out the lilting, quiet sounds of nighttime in Sesstria.

Chris started to march to the kitchen and Vinton followed him, concern growing, anxiety peaking. Something was wrong. Something had gone wrong.

"What... what did he say? Did you tell him?"

Chris got to the kitchen table and gripped it, leaning forward. "I told him." His voice was empty, angry.

Vinton gulped. "And what did he say?"

For a few moments, Chris said nothing. Vinton curled around the table until he was facing the man. He leaned down and looked into his eyes. They were steady, considerate. Chris didn't move. He held onto the table like it was a raft in the middle of the ocean, as though if he let go of it he would sink.

Finally, Chris let go of the table and stood straight. He shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to talk about him."

"Chris..."