45 - Vinton (18+)

Vinton tried to keep up with Landel, but it was surprisingly difficult. The man was a fast runner, a very fast runner. Vinton had almost forgotten how quick he was.

Hullit's Lake sparkled below their path, the birds sang, the sun shone, but Vinton was breathing hard and aching so much that it felt like his limbs were going to explode at any second. Needless to say, it was hard to enjoy the scenery.

"Slow down, deelo." Vinton panted between words, his footwork turning sloppy. "Goddess above, slow down."

Landel looked backwards with a smile. The fucking man was running effortlessly. There was no competition between them. Sure, Vinton played a lot of panae. He worked hard on his muscles and his powers. But he definitely neglected his stamina, and Landel had that in droves.

Finally, after what felt like hours, Landel slowed down and allowed Vinton to catch up. By the time he reached the prince, Vinton was on the verge of collapsing. He lowered himself, hands on knees, and breathed in deep gulps of air.

"You've lost your touch," Landel said. He tapped Vinton on the shoulder and sat down on the grass by the path.

Vinton laid down beside him, staring up at the blue sky, squinting in the brightness. "I think you've gotten faster."

"Sure."

"I mean it, deelo. You were running like a jinniper out there. I wouldn't be surprised if you could outrun a fucking razor."

"And you were running like Old Hari."

Vinton laughed through the deep breaths and smacked Landel playfully.

In the past, Landel and Vinton had ran together all the time. It had been one of the ways they had trained for panae. But with Chris and Adam here, they hadn't really had the chance and, besides, Adam had been going on the runs, so Vinton wasn't really needed.

"This is nice," Vinton said. "You and me, Landel and Vinton, like old times."

Landel nodded, looking back down at him. "Like old times."

"Now you have Adam to berate for running slower than you." Vinton laughed. "Can't say I'm jealous of him."

"Adam could probably beat you in a footrace right now."

"Yeah-fucking-right."

"I'm serious."

Vinton smirked. "I'd like to see him try."

Landel laughed. "And I would pay to watch that go down. Vinton versus Adam, the most important race of the century. Would be epic."

"An epic defeat," Vinton said.

Landel chuckled and then smoothed his hair back. He turned to Vinton and grinned. "So..."

"So what?" Vinton narrowed his eyes.

"How are things going between Chris and you?"

Vinton nodded, his mind flooded with images of his soulmate. A smile spread across his face. "Amazing. He's incredible."

"I still can hardly believe it. Vinton Xall sleeping with a single back-jewel more than once. Unprecedented shit."

Vinton considered how much to disclose, but quickly decided that Landel could know everything. There was nothing to be gained by keeping things from him and Landel was trustworthy. He was Vinton's best friend.

"We're soulmates," he said.

Landel raised an eyebrow. "That so?"

"The Goddess told Chris herself," Vinton said. He sat up, smirking at Landel's shocked face. "Right after she told him about his powers as a fire elel."