35 - Landel

💎💎💎💎💎💎

The moon shone bright in the dark sky, illuminating the black clouds that drifted near it. Landel gazed up. He had always had a connection to the sky, to the moon, to the sun. There was something about the endless possibilities of the horizon that inspired him.

He breathed it all in. The chilly, fresh air filled his lungs. He held it there for a beat and then exhaled. Landel never took his eyes away from the sky, he kept them pinned there. The majesty of the universe surrounded him.

Somewhere, out there, was Adam's home. On that planet, his mom and his girlfriend, his family and his friends, were probably worried out of their mind. Was it selfish that he was happy that Adam had come? Was it horrible for him to be grateful to the Goddess? Without that terrible fate event, Landel and Adam would have never met.

He was happy they had. That was all. Landel didn't need to feel bad about being glad that he and Adam had become friends.

"We'll have to be quiet." Landel laughed. "The rest of the castle is probably fast asleep. Don't want to wake any of them up."

He paused then. Silence filled the gap. Adam was probably admiring the sky in the same way that Landel was, hypnotized by the majesty. Landel smiled and spun around.

Adam was gone. The dark road that led to the Razor's Tail was completely empty.

Landel's heart sank into his stomach. His smile dropped from his face as quickly as it had formed. He didn't quite understand what he was seeing. Adam was right behind him. Adam had been right behind him.

"Adam?" Nothing. No response and no movement. Landel took a few hurried, panicked steps down the street and cupped his hands to his mouth. "Adam!"

Again, nothing. Landel inspected every lane, every intersecting road, every shadowed area where Adam could have passed out drunk, but the man was nowhere to be seen.

Panic welled up inside of him like a geyser. He moved frantically around, hoping that Adam would appear in front of him, smiling and laughing like they had only a few minutes ago.

He hadn't been watching, he had turned his back on Adam and moved away. Guilt and shame washed over the panic, stirring him into a frenzy. He didn't want to run back to the castle to get help because if he did that it meant that Adam was missing. And, surely, that couldn't be true. The man must've fallen somewhere or he was playing a sick joke.

"Adam!"

Someone nearby opened their window and peered out angrily. He put a finger to his lips. "Do you know what time it is, young man?"

Landel didn't even acknowledge him, he continued to search. His head swiveled like a child's toy. He turned down every road and every nook. The longer the search went on, the more desperate it became.

Landel eventually found himself back at the square, the Razor's Tail dark on the other side of the fountain. How long had he been searching? The moon had changed positions in the sky and, already, Landel could see light blue crawling up the side of the horizon, indicating that the sun wasn't far behind.

There was still no sign of Adam. Landel turned around and rubbed an absent hand through his hair, the terror and fear only building and building and building.

Where the fuck had he gone?

There was nothing else to be done. Landel couldn't delay it any longer. Adam was missing and Landel had been looking for long enough. He darted up Hillside, moving back through the streets he had just searched.

The castle rose before him, imposing and grand, towering over the city, over his city.

As Landel passed the guards before the drawbridge, he began to scream.

"Adam is missing! Adam is missing!" He didn't know what else to say. He ran around the delicate interior of the castle, the morning sun bathed the hallways and rooms in a golden glow, screaming those same words over and over again.

The servants scurried around him, unsure of what to do. Landel had to yell at them to wake the household. He had to tell them that a few times. They would move away to do his bidding before another group of servants would approach him.

He jumped up a set of stairs and made his way to his father's study. No doubt the man would already be working. He passed rows of palace guards and servants, confusion and determination warring on their faces, most of them looked like they had just woken up. Their uniforms were crooked and carelessly donned.

"Landel." Nick, long hair hanging loose around his shoulders, ran up to Landel from in front of him. "What happened? What's going on?"

Landel couldn't stop the panic from touching his voice. He spoke fast and breathlessly. "Adam and I were walking back from the Razor's Tail. He was right there! You have to understand, he was right behind me! I didn't turn. I was looking at the moon for a few seconds."

Nick grabbed him, hands squeezing Landel's arms. The older man looked directly at Landel. "Calm down. Tell me what happened."

Landel took a breath, the rough grip calming him somewhat. He shook his head and continued. "Adam is missing. We were walking back from the Razor's Tail and when I turned around to say something to him, he was gone."

Nick's eyes widened. "Gone? Gone where?"

"I don't know. That's the thing, I don't know. He was just gone."

Nick let go of Landel and backed up. Landel could see his own panic reflected in the face of Adam's dad. "We need to find him! We need to fucking find him. Where were you when he went missing? Where were you?"

Landel had to think for a second. "Hilltown, just down the street from the castle. We were so close."

"Alright," Nick said. He breathed out. "I'm sure it's fine. I'm sure he passed out in a bush somewhere."

"I'll get my dad," Landel said. "I'll tell him."

Nick nodded and then indicated towards the King's study. "Good idea. We need to get a search party started. I'll do a sweep of the road. Hopefully we can find him without causing much of a fuss." Nick launched himself into a run and passed Landel while Landel hurried in the opposite direction towards his dad.

Landel weaved through the labyrinthine corridors of the castle. His mind tortured him with what he could of done.

If only they had walked side-by-side. If only Landel had looked behind himself earlier.

He came to his father's study and didn't even bother to knock. He pushed open the door and strode forwards.

King Esteck looked too put together for so early in the morning. He wore his crown, jewels shining in the sun. His silver hair had been cut short and was styled delicately to the side. His jacket was pinned tightly across his chest, crisp and vibrant.

"Dad!"

Esteck put down his quill and rubbed the bridge of his nose, as if he was annoyed at the intrusion. Landel had to stifle the anger that filled him, it wouldn't get them anywhere at this point.

"Son."

"Adam is missing, dad," Landel said, finally reaching him and putting his hands down on the desk. "Adam is gone!"

Landel narrowed his brow. "He's... gone?"

Landel managed to sooth himself enough so he could explain the story clearly. "Adam and I were walking home from the Razor's Tail last night and I walked in front of him for a second and when I turned around he was gone. I looked for a long time. He was nowhere."

Esteck stood up, an urgency coming over him suddenly, his eyes determined. "We need to summon the defenders."