47 - Chris (18+)

It was a risk.

If Chris signed up for the souls league of panae, he would be admitting to the world that he had fallen in love with Vinton. He would be admitting that he was with Vinton, with a man. In Sesstria, that wasn't a big deal, it was the norm. But, for his dad and Adam and Nick it would be a big deal. But he could just say they were faking it to be in the competition, right? He could make up some excuse like that.

Chris really wanted to play panae with Vinton. He wanted to compete.

"Alright," Chris said. He rubbed his sweaty palms together. The hall outside of the panae administration office was bustling with students. They flowed around Vinton and Chris, hardly even acknowledging their presence.

"You ready for this?" Vinton tilted his head lower, posing the question.

"Yeah."

Vinton nodded. He led Chris a few steps forward and through the nearby door.

The panae administration office was a haven of calm outside of the busy hallways. There were a few guys behind the one, long desk that stretched from wall to wall. Large windows made the space feel light and airy.

One of the administrators was sitting in the center of the desks. He was facing the room. Did Chris recognize him? He could've sworn he'd seen the guy somewhere.

"Shit." Vinton whispered under his breath. He closed his eyes and then continued forward. Chris followed him slowly, the tension building.

Here Chris was. He was about to admit to being Vinton's soulmate. It almost felt surreal. Was he really going to do this? He rubbed his palms on his pants.

The man at the front looked up at them. The pleasant smile he had had dissolved when his eyes fell on Vinton, and Chris finally realized who he was.

It was that clingy administrative back-jewel, Kellert. The one who had assigned them their rooms.

Kellert sneered. "Vinton."

"How's it going, Kellert?"

"Bad now that you're here," he said. He sighed and picked up a piece of paper from the side before pushing it over to their end of the desk. "There you go. Panae signup."

Vinton looked back at Chris, so Chris took a few steps forward and stood beside Vinton. He looked down at the paper.

"Panae - Common" was written at the top of the sheet. A few scribbled names had been added below, Chris didn't recognize them.

They stood there for a few moments, staring at the page. Chris wasn't sure what to do. The room was charged. There was a tension and Chris was worried if he said anything it would make the whole powder keg explode.

"Well?" Kellert said, indicating to the paper. "Sign it and get out of here. Or does the outsider want to play panae too? I don't even know if they allow non-elels the chance, but I guess you could always give it a try."

Vinton sighed. "Do you have to be so involved in the administration system at The Academy? You make my life so much more difficult."

"I make your life difficult?" He laughed, loudly and bitterly. The other men behind the desk looked at him with annoyed expressions and he lowered his voice. "My life was a nightmare for weeks because of what you did."

"I didn't do anything. You thought we were... a couple, and we weren't. It's as simple as that."

"Oh? OH? Simple? I've never cried so hard in my life. All those things you whispered to me the weeks before. The things you said to me on the night we made love. They meant nothing? They were just a way to get into my pants?"