49 - Chris

The Defenders wouldn't be hard to find. They seemed to be everywhere lately.

Chris and Adam left Vinton and Landel in the cavern to get some help and stumbled across a familiar group very quickly.

Kullver, Timot, and Breck had been stationed near the front of The Academy. They were on break, clearly enjoying a quiet evening, when Chris and Adam found them. The three of them listened to the story with interest and alarm, and, at the end, seemed eager to get a glimpse at the crystal vein below the school.

And eager to arrest more cultists.

Chris and Adam led the three of them down into the darkness of the old dungeons and brought them to the crystal vein. The whole way there, they looked at the dungeon with open mouths, interrogating Adam and Chris about how they had found the place and how they had gotten through and why.

When they pushed through into the room with the vein, the three Defenders moved passed Adam and Chris.

"Goddess," Breck said, staring up at the pink, glowing crystal. "How many years did I go here and not know there was a giant crystal vein below the school?"

Kullver stepped up to Breck and nodded his head. "Back then, we never had to worry about things like that, did we?"

"Fair point," Breck said. He turned to the four cultists stuck to the ground and then to the four students. "And what have you guys gotten yourself up to, eh? You just can't help yourselves."

Landel let the cultists out of their stone prisons and the Defenders arrested them easily. Kullver and Breck were big men, there was no way the cultists were getting out of their grips.

Landel, Vinton, Adam, and Chris walked ahead of the Defenders and back up through the dungeon and into the school hallway. Kullver and Breck criticized them the whole way, telling them that they had been stupid, reckless, and had put themselves in danger.

Chris agreed. They had been a little stupid. But someone had to be fucking stupid every once-in-a-while or the Goddess was going to die. He let his thoughts go unspoken, and meekly followed the green light as they ascended the stairs.

Kullver and Breck grunted as they pushed the door to the dungeon closed. It shifted over the stone ground and finally shut, sealing away the darkness.

"Look, we need to bring these idiots back to Sesstria to get some information out of them," Breck said, thumbing back over his shoulder, towards the cultists.

One of the robed men sneered, Chris thought it was the one that had been chanting. "You won't get anything out of us! You won't win. The One's rise is inevitable."

Kullver punched the man in his ribs, making him double over. "Shut up." His voice was calm and nonchalant. Timot put a hand on Kullver's arm, as if trying to settle him down.

A few moments later, after some terse goodbyes, the three Defenders escorted the prisoners around the corner and out of sight. Hopefully, they would be able to get something out of them, some piece of information that would make this whole ordeal worth it.

In his periphery, Chris noticed a few younger students peeking around the other corner, obviously brought to the hallway by the noise.

Not a good sign.

After that, it didn't take long for the hallway outside of the old dungeon to fill up with people. There were students who flooded down from the dorms, hearing the commotion and the rumours. Professors in nightrobes observed from a distance, trying to keep the curious students in check. Chris noticed Master Lyle, dressed in dark pyjamas, watching from a distance. His blonde hair was ruffled, bad bed-head.