Chapter 216: Vilma Beldon

Corridors cool and spacious, floors made of tiles painted various colors and laid out in various patterns, ceilings high above, supported by large pillars and arches, and a beautiful scenery of the gardens outside with flowers in full bloom.

Such beautiful scenes transpired with each step, soft and silent clacks echoing gently as soles hit the tiles. A few figures traversed the place, their gem-like eyes wandering freely, admiring the wonderful landscape. A treat of beauty and elegance.

"I have already heard from His Majesty, but I'm still a little surprised that Your Highnesses chose our humble estate over the other territories. Even now, it still feels quite unreal." [Abraham]

"Well, when His Majesty asked, Marquess Beldon's words from before were the ones which stuck in my mind. And... There's no need to be so humble. The Marquisate is a lovely place to be in." [Grey]

"Yes. Though it was short, from our little tour, we could only see smiling faces. We heard it was all because of the Marquess' efforts. Your subjects must be happy to have you as their Lord." [Yuna]

"Hahaha. That's too much praise, Your Highnesses. I'm only doing what I ought to do. It's all because of my wonderful vassals." [Abraham]

Stifling. Too stifling. Though it seemed like a normal conversation and everyone was smiling, the formality was still too much to bear. Even Yuna's casual "Uns" have become formal "Yeses". It was actually really burdensome.

In fact, before they had a stroll, the Marquess was showering Grey and Yuna endless praises and gratitude for curing his son and wife. It was too much, Grey and Yuna could barely remember half of what she said.

Though Grey and Yuna could still remember the Marquess being fine with casual language, today was different. They were attending a formal invitation, after all. They, as well, also needed to act just as formal.

"And Your Highnesses... Like I said before, there's no need to force yourselves to act formally. Please speak in the way you find the most comfortable." [Abraham]

Well, it was actually them who thought it was necessary. The Marquess, on the other hand, doesn't really mind a casual way of speaking. Even though he himself speaks formally out of habit, he preferred it if the others spoke comfortably around him.

"Ah... We're we too obvious?" [Grey]

"No, not at all. I just figured since I heard from His Majesty that you aren't exactly fond of such things." [Abraham]

"Haah... His Majesty, huh... We'll be taking you up on that then." [Grey]

"Please do so." [Abraham]

It was a weight off their shoulders. And it wasn't just speaking. After the confirmation from the Marquess, they also relaxed their bodies, loosening up the tension. It was still more comfortable acting casually, after all.

"Then, shall we continue our tour of the mansion?" [Abraham]

"Un. Please, and thank you." [Yuna]

The stroll around the mansion continued, and a lot of sights were shown one after another. There was the central fountain, the main garden, the greenhouse, the training grounds, and many more. It took them several minutes just to do a single lap.

Throughout the whole stroll, Grey and Yuna couldn't help but notice something about one of their companions. It was the Marchioness. She has been very quiet the whole time, acting meek and only showing a gentle smile, anxiety and nervousness painted on her eyes.

Grey and Yuna have heard a couple rumors here and there about the Marchioness from their time in the capital. And compared to the vile and vicious she was described as, the one before them was simply shy and reserved like a prim and proper lady.