Chapter 01

Dangerous

Dangerous.

An adjective for something very harmful or destructive, and capable of causing death.

People call me dangerous, deadly. The name Mortale is the target and threat of all mafias in Italy, and the world even. The truth is I am dangerous if you piss me off.

"Hanno preso il cosa?!" I seethe into the phone. My caporegime Domenico decided to deliver very bad news on a very bad day of mine.
(they took the what?!)

"the money Don, it's gone" he mumbles into the phone. I grab the cigar on my desk, I usually don't smoke unless I'm stressed out.

Right now I'm fucking agitated.

"get Marcello to my office, Ora" I hang up. My family pestered me about taking a break for un giorno and this shit happens. (one day)

"Buona sera, fratello" my caporegime, also known as my brother strides into my office.

"Damn, it's like a casket in here. Don't you need some sun?" he laughs.

Clown.

"sit down!" I grit and his smile drops just when he sits down, quickly.

"Capo," he says lowly.

"care to explain why twenty-three million dollars got stolen in the span of a day? When you were in command?" I calmly state, clasping my hands together before placing my chin on them. My elbows rest against the hard dark wood.

"Well, are you familiar with the Saints?" he asks lightening a smaller cigar.

"Sì, the amateur gang?" I respond.

"well they're the ones who took it, hacked into the 2738 server, and emptied it, Tutto" he gestures with his hands. (all of it)

"then I'll have to fix this little problem, where are they hiding? In their little novice basement?" I raise my eyebrows.

"that's the problem," he says.

"Elaborare" I wave my hand, gesturing for him to go on.

"I'll show you instead, I think we've underestimated them these past years. Questo è solo l'inizio" he stands up. (This is just the beginning)

I stand up, I have maybe one or two inches on my brother. We're a very tall family, my father is 6'6 while my mom is 6'4. Do you know what that equals?

Gigantic kids.

Alessio is the tallest one of us though, walking at a solid 6'9. Poor Leonardo is only 6'6, but he's just Seventeen. I guess that's tall too.

I follow him up the stairs to the control room. The soldatos bow their heads out of respect before lowering their gazes as we walk past them. We're in the largest warehouse we own here in America.

"Capo," my men say in unison as I step into the control room. Big screens all over the walls, some hanging from the roof. In the area, there are rows and rows of computers and chairs. Listening and other types of gear are evident at every station.

"Mostra the Saints last known position" Marcello calls out and they all get to their computers to show who's the quickest. (show)

"Qui!" a young woman speaks up. Her scarlet red hair is tied into a neat bun and her dark brown eyes look at us hopefully.

"go on then" I cross my arms and her eyes go wide. Clicking three times the biggest screen lights up with a map of America.

"you see all the red dots, that's where they've been, the catch is that they dissolve all the time. They're playing with us right under our noses, we can't identify if they've actually been there or not. Nor can we see their current location" she explains.

"And why is that?" I say calmly.

"I-I don't know, their computer men must be on a very high level to create such illusions. Even if we manage to crack the codes it will be too late" she explains.

"Come si chiama?" (what's your name?)

"Lorna, capo" she bows her head.

"very well then, Lorna è al comando d'ora in poi" I state and they all nod. (Lorna is in charge from now on)

I exit the room with Marcello trails behind me. "surprised you didn't lash out" he says.

"I'm not irresponsible, besides that, I just had a smoke," I tell him.

"So you know in a year and a half Dad is stepping down" he walks beside me.

"I'm very well aware"

Our father has been the leader of the mafia for over thirty years now. He's the godfather, the highest ranking of all of us. Unfortunately, he's getting older and the stress is taking a toll on him.

Our elder brother Luciano was originally supposed to be the next Don. Then he knocked up some crazy bitch, two times and now he has two sets of twins.

I'm calling her a bitch because of what she put my brother through. She's truly an evil woman, and not the good kind.

The whole family is of course supportive, all of us knew that a twenty-five-year-old with four kids couldn't run nor take care of the largest and most powerful mafia in the world. We're six brothers and two sisters. Luciano had to give up his position to take care of his beautiful babies.

And that leaves me, the next capo dei capi.