Chapter 16

She's so beautiful

She's so beautiful.

"Even when the sky comes falling, even when the sun don't shine―" Simone sings dancing around in the kitchen with Alexandria.

"I gonna faith in you and I" Alex sings and her mom picks her up.

"So put your pretty little hand in mine" they sing together intertwining their fingers and dancing around in the kitchen.

"your arm Simone" I remind her raising a glass of apple juice to my lips.

"yes, daddy" she rolls her eyes. I choke, hitting my chest while coughing.

"trying to kill me, for what?" I shake my head, she smiles sarcastically.

"Maybe," she says, something is off in her eyes.

Why?

"want to know what's on the menu?" she asks.

"you?"

"There's kids around" she shakes her head covering Alexadria's ears.

"that does not answer my question," I say.

"the doctor said w―"

"Non una risposta"
(not an answer)

"you know I don't understand what you said and after last time I simply don't wanna know" Simone shakes her head.

"now as I said―" she takes a deep breath. "we're making crêpes then I baked some bread but I can't remember the last time I did that. Maybe it tastes funky" she stresses dropping Alexandria down who runs out of the kitchen.

"it has already been twenty minutes but it's not even golden yet and Alexandria needs to eat I haven't called Adam ye―" she stops to take a deep breath burying her face in her hands.

I push up from my chair, rounding the kitchen island. I let my hands travel to her slim waist, wrapping my arms around her.

"Why are you stressed?" I rest my head on her shoulder.

I can do comfort, yes I can comfort her without feelings. Same thing when we fuck.

"you don't know how much work I've missed. I have a hole in my shoulder, I haven't talked to my best friend in forever. Alexandria needs a doctor's appointment. People are on my ass all the fucking time for nothing―" she chokes up. I look into the kitchen wall flabbergasted.

What the hell did I just get myself into?

"And I really― I mean really want chocolate" she cries into her hands. It takes me a second to realize what's happening.

I see.

"is your stomach hurting?" I ask rubbing her waist.

"yes," she whispers followed by other sobs.