Chapter Four: [Untitled]

"I had good reasons, alright?!" Kathryn raised her voice.

"You ditched your fans, Kathryn." Austin said, fuming. "You had ten thousand fans waiting for you in Detroit. You stood them up. You ditched them."

"I didn't!" She argued. "I had management move the dates, alright?! It was only the first two months of the tour that were moved!"

"Then you suddenly disappeared," Austin accused, waving off her explanation. "But no. You ditched. You ran away."

She went silent. She looked down at the floor, biting her lips. "They're upset, Kathryn. So upset. Completely and totally broken-hearted." He said. "Why did you have to run away?"

Kathryn still didn't answer.

Austin came closer and held her shoulders. That was the first time they had real physical contact without it being a prank or a joke or insulting. It was serious this time. "Kathryn," he said. And she knew he was completely serious. He rarely called her Kathryn, it was actually the first time he did call her that. "Please tell me why."

"I was already having some sort of mental breakdown, okay?" Kathryn admitted, almost shouting. "I was losing myself in the spotlight! I was becoming bratty! I started to become snotty, spoiled, selfish. I was becoming a different person."

She closed the door and sat down on one of the bean bag chairs, making me do the same on the other. "I've been in the industry for almost three years already. Sure I love making music and dancing and living my dream, but I've been living my dream for what feels like forever. And because of that I started to be blinded by the spotlight. I became selfish, full of myself and a complete spoiled brat. It took me so long to realize that."

"I realized that I wasn't like what I used to be before I signed that record deal with Jimmy. I knew I needed a break before I officially lose it." Kathryn said, looking up at him while she was playing with her fingers.

Austin looked at her thoughtfully. "Kath, if that's the issue, why didn't you just tell us? We could've helped you out, instead of you sneaking around, desperately trying to hide this big secret of yours- which is no longer a secret to me."

She playfully rolled her eyes at me. "I would've Austin. But I want people to treat me like I'm a normal girl like I used to be. But now everytime I walk out a door I have to look my best because I'm getting this weird feeling that the whole universe is judging me."

"They are." She answered. Kathryn threw a pillow and hit him right in the face. "Screw You."

Austin laughed and threw the pillow back to her. "Sorry, ugly. Continue."

She threw the pillow aside. I can't believe it. She thought. We're actually having a civilized conversation with mushy feelings. "Anyways, the way I see it, the only way for people to treat me like a normal girl is for them to not know that I'm not so normal. If I want them to treat me as just Kathryn Rodriguez instead of the Kathryn Rodriguez, then they shouldn't know that I am that Kathryn Rodriguez. I want everyone to treat me as just Kath, even you guys. That's why I didn't tell you. And I'm sorry."

"Aw, Kath, apology accepted." He smiled, putting his arms out, almost hugging her. She shoved her hands in his chest, pushing him away."Uh, no, nigga. We ain't hugging this out."

"But maybe to seal the deal, how about a complimentary'I'm sorry' kiss?" He smiled at her suggestively. Kath lightly punched Austin in the shoulder making him let her go.

"So no kiss then?" Austin asked. Kath threw the pillow and hit my face again.

She lightly laughed at me, before leaning on the foozball table and looking out the window. "I want to tell them, I swear. But it's just been so fun, y'know? Being treated like a normal girl these past few days, it's the best feeling ever. You're becoming quite the celebrity yourself Austin, you know how it is. You have to find something to keep you grounded or else you'll lose it. I know I can't keep this from them forever, but I-" before Kath could finish another sentence, he put a finger to her lips.

"You don't have to say another word. I understand you, you evil little dwarf." Kathryn raised an eyebrow at him. "You're obnoxious. You're a liar and you're annoying and you suck, but even if you are completely intolerable, I am a gentleman. And yes, I will keep your secret, you sloth." Her lips formed into a smile under Austin's finger, so he dropped it.

"Thank you so much Austin. You're a really sweet guy, you know that?" Kathryn said. "When you're not being such a, you know, an ass."

He smiled down at her. they were back to their dilemma again. "Yeah, I do. And you know what sweet guys deserve? A complimentary 'I'm sorry' kiss," Austin smiled widely at her.

"I'd rather write a novel with my right hand and fistfuck a goat with the other," She said, walking out of the practice room.

"Sassy, yowch." Austin commented, making her laugh. As they walked down the stairs, she said, "And take a shower, like, right now. You're still soaking wet and you smell like Coke."

He shot her a look. "That's because you made my soda explode in my face, Einstein."

She smiled to herself, proud. "I do have a tendency to be intelligent."