Chapter Thirteen: "Love"

"Y-You don't know what you're talking about," Kathryn said. "You're just dense, Austin."

"I kissed you." He said. "I don't just do that."

"And we can forget that-"

"I can't just forget that," He argued. She scrunched her eyebrows. "Why not?"

"Because now you've got some kind of pull on me," He started to say. "You always have, you idiot. Even when I barely knew your name. Remember the day I first met you? At the mall?"

She raised an eyebrow. "You tried to hit on me."

"I did not," Austin said. She looked at him as if her were stupid, a look he seemed to get a lot more often. "You were simply an attractive lady, and you've caught my eye."

Kathryn flipped her hair. "I do have the tendency to do that,"

"But you're still annoying," Austin mentioned, making her glare. "Anyways, sure. Let's say that maybe I have flirted with you that day-"

"You did."

"AND," Austin said, ignoring her. "I only would've flirted with a person I barely know if I find them really, really, reallyattractive." He said, and that almost made her smile. "I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here," He started to say. "But you're beautiful, you know that?"

"Okay, now you're really dense-"

"I'm trying to confess my uncomfortable and new-found feelings for you, you idjit." Austin said. This was their thing, name calling, but they still had civilized conversations. "Now could you please just shut up while I embarrass myself infront of you?"

She grinned. "I don't flirt, Kathryn. I rarely do that. That day at the mall, that was a one-time thing. I find flirting quite disrespectful, but I did it to you anyways, so you must be something special." He continued. "And remember that day, when we were mauled by your fans-"

"Half of those fans were yours," she said. "So basically our fandoms had a team effort."

That made Austin smile.

"When they caught up to us and you had trouble breathing? I swear that scared me. I don't really know why, but then I saw the scrape on your knee. It surprised me when I carried you. But I didn't like it when you got hurt or-" Austin widened his eyes. "Oh my god I'm being so mushy I'm embarrassing myself."

"I'm listening, you dork." Kathryn smiled.

"And then, I just wanted to make sure you're okay." He continued. "I'm sorry," Austin said. "I've put you in an awkward situation because I kissed you."

"Nothing's awkward between you and me." Kathryn said, and he looked at her as if she were stupid. "You were avoiding me for a week. We didn't see you for days."

"Oh, that." She said. "I wasn't avoiding you-"

"You were, Kath." He said. "I know that kiss was... something else, but, you avoided me for a solid week. We made out-"

"You kissed me."

"That's funny," Austin said, smiling at her. "Because I remember you pushing me into the wall and kissing me back?"

She rolled her eyes, and it made him laugh. "You kissed me back, love." Austin said, pulling her closer towards him, leaving no space whatsoever. "Tell me that you kissing me back meant nothing at all. And I promise, that I will walk away and we will forget this entire thing."

Kathryn felt her breath hitch in her throat. It's been days since they've been close like this, and it made her heart race for some reason, probably because maybe she was growing feelings as well for him. "Look me in the eye, please," Austin said gently, and she did. They were nose to nose. "And tell me that you felt nothing when you kissed me back."

Kathryn had only said nothing. The last time they were in this position, she realized that she was growing feelings for him, for quite some time now, but it was too late when she noticed. I-I like you, The sudden realization hit her when Austin had pressed her against the wall and held her so close that day. I've grown feelings for this boy at the worst timing possible.

"Why is your breath hitching in your throat?" Austin observed, his breath against her lips.

She swallowed a lump in her throat. "I-I-"

"Your heart is racing, Kath." He said in a low, husky voice. "It's beating so fast, I swear I can feel it against my own chest."

Austin moved his hands from the small of her back, to the sides of her waist. He held her so gently. "You're shaking," he said.

"You make me," the words slipped out of her mouth, and she couldn't take it back anymore.

Austin licked his lips, staring at hers. "Would it be wrong if I kissed you again?"