Chapter Thirty Five: Thunder

-KATHRYN-

I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist, and soft humming just above my ear. I woke up because the sun was hitting my eyes, but I kept my eyes closed. I listened a bit further and realize the humming was 'your voice was the soundtrack of my summer'- some song by Boys Like Girls. I lightly smiled, snuggling my face into my pillows.

I heard a soft chuckle. "Are you awake now?"

"No," I lied, and I heard Austin's laugh as he kissed my forehead. "Kath, you need to wake up."

"But whyyyyy." I whined into my pillow.

"Because. Your brother is attempting to make breakfast downstairs," Austin said. "Do you want him to burn the kitchen down?"

I scoffed. "He can go ahead and burn the house down, I still wouldn't get out of bed."

"Jeez so cruel," he grumbled and I laughed, taking a pillow and hitting him with it. Austin threw it aside and I sat up, stretching and staring out the window. "I see you slept through the thunder?"

"You can say that," he smiled at me like a child. I laughed, falling back down on the bed. I looked around to see that the three other beds were completely messy but empty. I stared at the ceiling. "You weren't really afraid of the thunder last night, were you?"

"What? No I was not!" Austin said, sounding defensive. "I AM A MAN."

"You are a seventeen year-old boy who believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and keeps Spongebob underwear," I said, my eyes still on the ceiling. "So I find that very hard to believe,"

"You just know how to make me feel loved, don't you?"

"It's more like a hobby," I shrugged and he laughed at me.

For the next few minutes we just layed there, looking at the ceiling and saying nothing at all. I guess I got pretty lost in thought, because I started to hear voices in my head.

"You see the way he looks at you, Kath. We all do."

"That you're inlove with him?"

"How do you not expect him to fall inlove with you?"

"You don't need him to tell you that he likes you, Kathryn."

"That dude on your lap really likes you and he's making it totally obvious that he's head over heels for you,"

This is horrid. I think I'm losing it, hearing weird voices in my head at eight thirty in the morning, repeating the same conversation from eight hours ago. I turned to my side and looked at Austin, and he looked at me. He gave me a small smile and I didn't return one back. Instead I just looked at him, like I studied every inch of his face.

"You see the way he looks at you, Kath. We all do."

I mentally rolled my eyes.

What are they even talking about? Austin doesn't look at me in a special way. He doesn't look at me in any way. And surely he doesn't look at me in that way. I mean, come on. He looks at me the same way everybody does. There's nothing so special about me to look at.