Chapter Eleven: Code Aquamarine

"Pick up the phone," Kathryn said, pacing back and forth in her room, phone pressed to her ear.

"Pick up the phone, N. Pick it up," she muttered over and over, her heart racing. When she didn't answer, she decided to text instead.

To: Nicole

DON'T MAKE ME PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE

PICK UP THE PHONE

LIKE

RIGHT NOW

Then she dialed her number, and pressed the phone to her ear again. "Pick up the phone, you idjit," She muttered. "I need yo-"

"GURL I WAS EATING HOW DARE YOU"

"NICOLE SHUT UP" Kathryn said, and Nicole sighed. "Kath, what is this about?"

She sat down on her bed, her heart still racing. "C-" She started to say. "Code-"

"Code what, Kath?"

She swallowed a lump in her throat. "Code Orange."

Nicole went silent on the other line for a solid thirty seconds, and it made Kathryn worried. "Nicole?"

"I WILL LITERALLY MURDER YOU," Nicole yelled, making her pull the phone away from her ear. "You kissed the boy you half-despise?!"

"Wait, Code Aquamarine," Kathryn corrected as if it were no big deal. "Sorry. My ba-"

"IS IT POSSIBLE TO MURDER SOMEONE TWICE?" Nicole yelled on the other line. "BECAUSE I WILL MURDER YOU."

"Nicole-"

"THEN I WILL RESURRECT YOU"

"N, calm do-"

"SO I CAN MURDER YOU AGAIN"

Kathryn went silent. "Do you need a few minutes to let this information sink in so you can calm down?" She asked gently, a bit worried. "I can put the phone down for a while so you don't have some sort of rack attack-"

"YOU MADE OUT WITH THE FRENEMY" Nicole continued to say. That's what Code Aquamarine meant. "That is so unlike you, Kathryn!"

"I'm sorryyyyyyy," she whined.

"That's it." Nicole said. "I am flying my ass right down there to Miami, and I am taking you home with me."

"Wait what?" Kathryn asked, suddenly alert. "Hey, no! Don't do that!"