Doctor

I immediately head to the hospital to get an appointment. I hope I'm not late so I called one of the nurse "Hey, Yvonne, it's me. Just coming out of the elevator. Dr. Zayne hasn't gone home, has he?"

"Don't worry, all checkups are in the system, which sends out notifications. Dr. Can't forget them"

"...Yeah. Besides, even when he's not working, he's still in his office."

I met Zayne after Grandma took me in. I was eight years old then. Our families had been friends for years, so we'd occasionally get together for meals. We didn't meet again until half a year ago, during a follow-up checkup on the Protocore fragments in my heart. I would've never guessed that after not seeing him for more than a decade, he'd reappear as my primary care physician.

"You've known Dr. Zayne for a while, right? I'll transfer your call over so you two can get started."

"No don't-" I tried to stop her from doing that but it was too late.

"Good job. You were ten seconds away from being a no-show." Zane said on the phone.

"I fought everyone to book the last appointment of the day. Waaait!"

"Don't worry, we have five seconds left." Mothafuka counting me down?!

"Do you really need to be precise?!z" I asked.

"Three... Two..."

son of a bitch! I ran to his office before he does something. Arriving at the office door, I push it open.

"Congratulations, you weren't late. Is this impeccable timing a new Evol ability of yours?" Zayne said.

"I can't believe you're just sitting there and counting down. What are you, a ticking time bomb or something?" I walked to him sitting on his desk "Yvonne said you returned to Linkon at five o'clock this morning and were back to work by seven."

"She tells you everything." Zayne said not looking at me.

"You said it was a vacation, but you were actually in the Arctic to work on a secret project, right?" I asked.

"Patients shouldn't be so nosy." He said "report" I gave him my folder as he looks at it "Any changes recently?"

"No." I answered.

He looks at me in disbelief "no?

"ive had one exam after another, so l pulled a few all-nighters."

"Ignoring medical advice like it's nothing. I suppose you're just here to go through the motions. Sit over here, please."

"Huh?"

"Listening" he puts on his sethoscope.

"Right" I sat infront of him as he checks my heart. "This isn't the first day I had Protocore fragments in my heart.Even Dr. Dean said I was perfectly fine. And it's been fourteen years. If anything bad-"

"Shh. Don't talk. But you should still breathe."Zayne looks so serious... Did he notice something was off?Nah, he just normally looks aloof.He probably has the same expression on his face regardless of whom he's treating. "A fast resting heart rate. What riled you up this time?"

"...Y-you're just imagining things.." I said he glared at me "Fine, I was really nervous, okay? But I'm always like this whenever I see a doctor..."

He takes off his scope and goes to his computer "Truly, your allergy is unique."

"So?"

"Heart arrhythmia, premature ventricular contractions, heart murmurs."

"Really"

He looks at me "Despite being aware of the risks, you still became a hunter.

I rolled my eyes "Make fun of me all you want, but you know why I did it."

"I wasn't mocking you. Linkon has been the safest it's ever been under the watchful eye of our skilled hunter, silver". He teased.

"Not necessarily. One day, our skilled Dr. Zayne will find himself in a bit of a predicament. The hunter who saves you might just be me."

"If you wish to hold something over me, then I suggest you be careful while out on the field. I'd prefer not to see you be airlifted to the hospital via helicopter."