Enigmatic Guide

"Pie."The fox ignores Zayne but paws at the canned pet food Zayne had brought from Linkon City.

"In this cold, soulless world where advanced technology reigns supreme, it's surprising to see gluttonous creatures like you. Here. Eat as much as you want." I kneel down to pat the little fox's head. He turns to rub against me affectionately before eating more food.

"He loves food but not the person who bought it." Zayne said.

"Did Dr. Noah name him Pie because his favorite dessert is white pie?"

"When Dr. Noah adopted him, he ate six pies in one go."

I can't help but chuckle. Zayne lifts up Pie's right leg to check something. There's a little thing strapped to it.

"What is that?"

"A tag."

"For a vaccination?"I suddenly feel like Pie isn't simply Dr. Noah's pet.

Zayne has always kept a tight lid on his polar-related research. He calls it "a vacation" or "visit to his teacher."What has he and Dr. Noah been researching? And why does it have to be done in such a cold place...As I watch Zayne brush off the crumbs from Pie's whiskers, my curiosity grows.

"Pie is very special. He's as intelligent as a nine-year-old child. Don't be fooled by his cute, innocent appearance." With a poker face, Zayne blocks Pie's attempt to pick up another can and taps the fox's head. "You only get one can of snacks per day. Go on now" Pie leads us swiftly through the streets. It takes a while, but we finally arrive at the place where Dr.
Noah lives.Before we can enter the front yard, we hear the sound of some creature whining and struggling.

"There, there. The pain is gone now." Little animals run around, stirring up snow and dirt. An old man wearing a large coat comforts the polar mink in his arms. "Zayne! What are you waiting for? Help me!"

"One second" Zayne said.

Huh? There's a hint of Metaflux in the air... Is it from the mink? Before I can ask, Zayne traps a bunch of black furballs scurrying about the yard with an ice cage he creates. "Are there other escapees?"

"No." Dr Noah Sighs "they messed up my yard again..."

Zayne catches another few animals in the same way and puts them back in their cages. "Does the antagonist no longer work?"

"Its effectiveness was shortened by a week. It seems the Metaflux around this area is increasing again. oh, hello, silver. Long time no see." Dr. Noah dusts off the snow on his knees, gets up, and walks over with a wide smile on his face. "Come on in. It'll be warmer inside."