Within Reach

As we were walking home caleb was still pissed at me "Caleb, I was telling the truth. It was just an accident. You and Grandma have enough to deal with..."

"I understand you wanna hide it from Gran. We've caused her enough trouble since she brought us up together. Now that she's older, it wouldn't be a good idea to make her anxious." He stops to face me "But why do you have to hide it from me? Can't you trust me now that we're all grown-up?"

I frowned "..l don't want you worrying about me. It's not often you get to come home these days, so ruining the mood is the last thing I want to do. Also, I'm a grown-up now. I need to be the one making sure I stay safe. You can't protect me forever."

I touched the railing as caleb did too I looked up at him I could tell he's worried about me "Why is that a problem? If not me, who could you possibly turn to for.." he paused wanting to add more.

"What's wrong?" I asked in concern.

"You wouldn't understand even if I told you, pip-squeak. Forget it." He said. "We've been outside for too long.
Gran's going to be worried."

We walked to the house "You are doing it again. Go inside by yourself. I'm not your sidekick."

"Fine. But hide the blood on your sleeve before heading inside." He opens the door and faced me "Since you're grown up now, I won't cover for you this time." Then he closed the door.

I went to cover my sleeve when an explosion came. I flew to the ground as I groan in pain and looked out to see the house was blown up. And grandma and Caleb were in there. I looked to seee Caleb's necklace I crawled to grab it as I looked the the burning house crying.