Canvas Enigmas

Rafayel's front door is slightly open, similar to how it was during my last visit. A sliver of light peeks through the gap.I gently push the door and watch my step.Sculptures, easels, and art supplies are everywhere. Rafayel is on the floor. He's not moving.

"..Rafayel!" I quickly approach him and lean down, our faces a breath apart. Rafayel's expression is peaceful, as if he's lost in a dream.I put my finger near his nose and feel his soft breath against my skin. "He's still alive."

A breeze passes the white curtains by the window and litters the floor with sheets of drawing paper. I bend down to pick one up.Some of the messy sketches depict splendid architecture, others surging waves. Some sketches are so abstract that I can't tell what they are. They do share one thing in common, however.Written on the bottom right-hand corner is a tiny word: Lemuria. Still sleepy, he looks my way with a half-lidded gaze.I step back and knock over a pot filled with brushes. Liquid spills, lush green trees, blue skies, and white clouds from outside reflected on its surface.

"You're here?" He said

"Are you okay?" I asked. After staring at me for a long time, Rafayel suddenly moves his head and holds out his hand.  "What are you doing?"

"Pull me up"

"Can't you do it yourself?"

"Hurry. Help me get off the floor."

The moment I take his hand, Rafayel yanks me down. "You..!"

"You're really nice. You worry about my well-being and even accompany me to lunch. Sooo, did you see anything suspicious?"

"Everyone was staring at the haphazardly parked sports car outside."

"Isn't it awesome? My car installation art.It's one of a kind."

"Now what? There's a crowd swarming your car. How can we leave"

"Having a bunch of people is the best cover. If anything dangerous shows up, we ditch the car and sprint through the back door. It's like vanishing into thin air."

I take a deep breath to calm myself. "You already knew the people in the N109 Zone were targeting you?"

Yeeeah, it's a long story. But to make a long story short. Someone in the N109 Zone wanted me to paint a painting, but I told them no."

Out of nowhere, Rafayel pulls out a carbon fiber pen, smooths out a napkin on the table, and starts doodling.

"...They want to kill you over a painting? Is your art really that special?"

"Well, yeah. They discovered the secret message in my painting, which would lead them to their heart's desire."

I haven't seen many of Rafayel's paintings, but the one at Raymond's house left a lasting impression on me. I recall my memories of that time and realize an important clue.

"...Is what they're after related to the illusion in your painting?"

His pen stops moving, and it creates a large blot of ink on the napkin. "An illusion? What did you see?"

"I saw a young girl on the beach. She was singing a song I didn't understand... It sounded sad. Is the painting special because you used the coral stone from that day?"

"Yup. I heard it's kinda rare. It was found near the bottom of the ocean, in a place called Lemuria. That location is brimming with rare treasures. Even a tiny bit of coral can make you feel like you're in a world of dreams. you can immerse the viewer in a pretty dream created by the artist." He speaks of this crazy story, but his voice doesn't waver. He seems to be telling the truth. I have no choice but to hide my skepticism.
Rafayel twirls his pen between his fingers, then looks into my eyes. "Anywaaay... Guess you're not here because you're concerned about my safety, yeah?"

"Rafayel, you have a bounty on your head from the N109 Zone. That means you've heard about it before. I need to go there and find something...
It's really important. Aside from barging in, I don't know how to enter that place..."

My hint is as clear as day. But after giving it some thought, Rafayel shakes his head. His expression is one of nonchalance.

"Linkon has become even more dangerous, and you're talking about entering a labyrinth. Forget about it. A hunter like you just going in there is like a lamb walking into a tiger's den."

His words leave me disheartened, but he isn't wrong.

"Since you're safe and sound, I'll get going."

Just as I'm about to get up from my chair, Rafayel grabs my hand. "Wait! Someone's following us."

Rafayel loosens his grip. He speaks as he sets down his pen and pushes a napkin toward me.With a few strokes, he sketches a layout of the restaurant on it. A man wearing a black jacket sits behind us to the right. He's slouching, perfectly hidden behind a potted plant.

"..He's already here?" I asked.

"Not sure. But since he's acting all shady... He's definitely not one of my fans."

raise my arm and activate the watch on my wrist. A palm-sized, holographic map appears before Rafayel and me.

"We'll sneak out from the back, run through the mall, and exit on the north side. Then we'll circle around until we reach an alley behind the flower shop." I said.

"You know, you're a really good hunter."

"When you see the big picture, you need to use some bait."I look up, noting the passing crowd reflected in the window. A group of high school students who just got off school trickle through the door. "It's time"