Close encounter

The southeastern suburbs of Linkon City are built near the sea and mountains. Many luxurious villas and holiday resorts can be found here. Its prosperity rivals that of the city center.
Yet the renowned art collector, Mr. Raymond, chose to settle down in...

"This path seems to never end...!" I said to myself "The steep, winding road through the mountains near the western suburbs is lined with trees that
could cover the sky. It's like you're in the wilderness. There's nothing to see, and you can't really go anywhere...If your car breaks down here, you'd be in a bind.Making a sharp turn, I notice a familiar car parked on the shoulder of the road. A tall figure stands beside it.
As I drive past him, he turns around, and we lock eyes I started to realize who it is. "Zayne?!"

I slam on the brakes and come to a stop. Then, I remove my helmet.

"You have that look on your face. What is it?"  He walks to his car and opens the hood. White smoke billows out.

"...l was thinking that maybe I should've been a fortune teller instead of a hunter. You should leave it be. Just to be safe."

The car's system has already called for roadside assistance. Unable to do anything else, Zayne closes the hood, dusts off his hands, and then glances at the motorcycle behind me.

"Are you already tackling a difficult mission when not even two days have passed?"

"It's not that bad. I'm just here to see if the client's home has any Wanderers."

"...Raymond?" He asked.

"You know him? We're not going to the same place, are we?"

"Someone invited me"

"So what are you going to do?" You don't often see Zayne stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stifling a laugh, I clear my throat and get on my motorcycle. I pat the back seat. "Come on, let me do my good deed for the day. I'll take you there."

"Will you be... Can your motorcycle do it?" He asked.

"Are you doubting my driving skills or this vehicle's capabilities?"

"Both" he admits.

"Good luck climbing the mountain, Dr.
Zayne. Consider it a workout!"

I start up the motorcycle, and the AR Navigation system immediately plans out the route.

AdvanNavi says you're 13.5 kilometers away.

At that moment, Zayne sits behind me.

"I need to return to the hospital later. Let's not waste any more time." Zayne tells me.

"..You're pretty good at going with the flow" I said to him.

"Adaptability is a virtue."

"All right, buckle up and remain seated.
Keep your arms and legs at your side."

"I'm aware"As I step on the gas pedal, the speedometer needle jumps. Caught off guard, Zayne jerks back. I quickly hit the brakes, but he ends up slamming into my back. "..Could the driver think of her passenger's safety for a moment? Please?"

We arrive at Raymond's mansion, and the ornate iron gate slowly opens. We're greeted by a desolate courtyard shrouded in eerie silence.
The architectural style is of modern design and simplicity. A large pool surrounds it, the water's surface a blanket of blue-green algae.

"Zayne, are you a close friend of the owner?" I asked.

"He's a former patient of mine who has a serious congenital heart disease." He explains.

"What kind of person is he? Is he friendly?"

"Nervous?"

"Is it obvious?" I asked Zayne silently glances at me. "...A little. This is my first solo mission after all. Weren't you nervous when you did your first surgery?"

"If I said yes, would that make you feel better?"

"Yeah"

A hint of mirth flashes in Zayne's eyes. "I wasn't." I want to stomp on his foot, but I hold myself back and stomp on his shadow instead.

Entering the mansion, my surroundings seem to blur. What captures my attention is the fish tank in the center of the hall. There's no water in it. An odd skeleton sits in the center of the tank, and under the light, it appears dull and pale. Fin-like bones protrude from its pelvis. The skeleton lacks legs, its spine extending like a long string. Its pose is ominously beautiful, skeleton lacks legs, its spine extending like a long string. Its pose is ominously beautiful, resembling a girl sitting cross-legged.

"This—" I spoke.

"It's just art. Don't overthink it, Miss hunter" The butler suddenly appears. He bows before me and Zayne. He doesn't question our arrival. He doesn't seem particularly interested in why we're here either. Hugging the fish tank is a spiral staircase that winds all the way to the ceiling.

"Is he still in his collection room?" Zayne asked Everyone knows who he's referring to: Raymond.

"Yes, on the third floor. Dr. Zayne, you've been here before, so please make yourself at home."

Zayne nods, then the butler turns to me. "Regarding the Wanderer inspection, Miss Hunter, do you need me to accompany you?"

I shook my head "No, it's okay. I'd like to look around first."