Interlude

I was walking around as caleb follows me. "Caleb... What kind of hunter lets their childhood friend tag along to work with them?" I said to him.

"I'm not tagging along with you, pip-squeak. Just headin' to the store for some vinegar and whatnot."

"Alright then. Well, we're just about to turn the corner. Go to the store Harand pick up your vinegar. Oh, and another thing. Better not walk out and start following me when my back is turned."

He turns to face me "Yeah, yeah, secret mission. Blah blah blah, can't let unauthorized personnel in on the details."

"Hurry up and go already. Also, I want some snacks... and fruit. Take all the time you need!" He nods and heads on the store. And I turned so I could do what I must "don't sense any fluctuations... I'll just walk around for a bit."

I continue my search along the block. My Hunter's Watch doesn't react to anything, but I sense fluctuations in the air. They're bouncing around.Is the fluctuation's source moving?Across the street, a man wearing a cap pops out of an alley.He turns slightly to the hovering patrol drone with compound eyes and fiddles with his hat.He's hiding something...Like sparks igniting a fire, the man's suspicious actions put me on high alert.As he moves, the watch on my wrist vibrates, showing the Metaflux in the area is increasing.
He's the source?I cross the street and begin following the suspicious man from a safe distance. I cross the street and begin following the suspicious man from a safe distance. He seems to have noticed me. He's walking faster.It's definitely him. I have to stop him!I walk faster, ready to send my coordinates to HQ with my Hunter's Watch. My right arm feels an intense pain all of a sudden, like l've been stabbed with a blade. A weapon..? No, it's Evol!

"I see you're actually smart. Too bad, I don't have time to play around." The man's cold gaze scrutinizes me. He sounds way older than he looks.
I hesitate. The figure rushes into an alley. I run after him, but he's already gone.I can't sense even a single fluctuation... Was he carrying a Protocore? Or... could he have been the source himself?

"Why are you staring off into space?
Mission's over?"The sound of footsteps stops next to me. I come to my senses.
Caleb?! Still concerned about what happened earlier, I don't know if I should tell him... I should keep it a secret for now. Otherwise, Grandma and Caleb will worry... Let's go back home and eat dinner first.I've made my choice. But when our gazes meet, my reluctance turns into guilt."Did you find any big, bad Wanderers?"

"Uh..." what do I say? "...The fluctuations disappeared.
Probably a false alarm."

"A false alarm..." he grabs my wrist.

"Caleb! What're you—" I asked in shock as I winced in pain.

"If it really was, then what's this?" He looks at my cut.

"Uh... I was petting a cat and..."

"Get scratched by another stray cat, huh? I think maybe I should go find that cat so I can avenge you."  Heoomed very pissed.

"Caleb, don't! Come on, grandma's waiting for us back at home."