Selection

"The empty desk next to mine is yours... I thought it didn't belong to anyone." I said.After Jenna leaves, it's just me and Xavier in the room.He's sitting in his chair, tears some packaging, and hands me half a loaf of bread as I lean on the table. "The senior employees say the best scouts don't stay in the office. Why are you still here?"

"You need to decide." Xavier said.

"Me"

"Whether or not you'll help the Hunters Association find those Protocores."

nibble the bread. It's dry and bland. I don't understand how he's able to eat it.

"Before that, I want to ask about the thing you called a Flux Nexus. You and Captain Jenna didn't say anything about it. The Association isn't even sure it exists. How do you know about it?"

"...I don't know a lot about it. I just know its name. If you want, you can call it a Protocore Nexus, Flux Stone, or Terrastele if you'd like."

"You're really good at dancing around the problem."Despite my burning curiosity, l've already been hit with tons of new information. I really need some time to digest it. "All right. If I do help out, I want to ask about my partner... You've been in UNICORNS longer than me.You probably know more people. Any recommendations?"

Xavier pauses as he's taking another bite, seemingly surprised I'm interested in his opinion.

"My advice is that you don't join at all."

I expected as much.

"Actually, I do have something in mind... We've already teamed up before. Why don't we make it official?"

"Really?"

"You don't have to do anything. I just think your teleport ability is pretty nice.If I run into some trouble and can't deal with it, I'll have you whisk me away."

"...So l'm just a tool?"

"The most useful one around."

"Regardless of what you think, UNICORNS has a lot of ways to get things done." Xavier shoves the last piece of bread into his mouth and stands up. "Your Evol might not be their only option.Don't stress about it."

"I'm not feeling stressed. I also don't get why you're telling me to refuse. I have my own reasons if I do help out."

"..You might enter a world that's beyond your wildest imagination."

"Has anyone said you suck at persuasion? Funnily enough, you just got me more interested."

Moments later, Xavier sighs, as if he's made a compromise.

"I should've known I couldn't scare you away"

"Are you actually trying to make me back out, Xavier? Is that why you're actually here?"

He avoids my gaze. "Maybe I'm here to... Convince you to live with no regrets. Anything involving Onychinus is complicated. Who knows if the Hunters Association will refuse to tell you about the dangers that lie ahead. ..I was worried you wouldn't give it much thought and agree right away. And choose someone else to be your partner."

"I... You think you know me? You're the one who doesn't think things through!"

"I see!" Oddly enough, Xavier doesn't argue. Instead, he gives me a surprisingly gentle smile and nods. "If you do get involved in the end, then... Could you choose me as your partner?"